Skip to main content

More Thoughts From The Businessman's Calendar

Dear Friends,

Last week I sent you some thoughts from the 1915 weekly calendar I found at Nancy’s childhood home in Massachusetts. I got many appreciative responses, so I thought I would send you one last selection of them today. One person wrote saying that they also, like me, enjoy “the old dead guys.” I must confess I do have a deep appreciation for many of them. Certain things change and become obsolete over time, but common sense and wise words tend to retain their staying power. Therefore, I send you this one last grouping of thoughts from, “The Business Man’s Calendar,” published in 1914 (for 1915), by Dodge Publishing Co., 216 E. 23rd Street, New York City. Enjoy!


“No amount of money ever made a good soldier, a good teacher, a good artist, or a good workman.”
Ruskin

“Do good with what you have; or it will do you no good.”
William Penn

“The happy man is he who is cheerful with moderate means; the unhappy man is he who is discontented in the midst of excess and plenty.”
Democritus


“What does it matter where your feet stand, or what your hands are busy doing, so long as it is the spot where God has put you, and the work which he has given you to do.”
George Eliot (The solution for envy.)

“Do not think of your faults; still less of the faults of others. Look for what is good and strong and try to imitate it. Your faults will drop off, like dead leaves when their time comes.”
Ruskin

“When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as if you can not hold on a minute longer, do not give up. For that is just the time when the tide will turn.”
Harriet Beecher Stowe


“When you are so devoted to doing what is right that you press straight on to do it and disregard what men are saying about you, there we find the triumph of moral courage.”
Phillips Brooks

“He that will not say an ill-natured word, or do something unreasonable, because he considers God everywhere present, performs a better devotion to God than the man that dares not miss church.”
William Law

“The wealth of a man is the number of things he loves and blesses, the number by whom he is loved and the things by which he is blessed.”
Carlyle


“Live with men as if God were watching you. Speak with God as if men were hearing you.”
Seneca

“The greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising every time we fall.”
Anonymous


If you would be wise, seek to understand the sayings of the wise, Pastor Jeff

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Easter

Dear Friends, I trust Easter was for you a day of hope, rejoicing, re-visiting the empty tomb, and worshipping God for His redeeming grace. I know that in our culture “moving on to the next thing” as soon as a particular day or celebration has passed, is normal. Yet, today (before too much time passes) I wanted to share some true and beautiful thoughts on the resurrection. Easter has passed, but in the Christian faith the Lord’s Day (each and every Sunday, being the first day of the week, or the day Jesus rose) is a mini celebration of the resurrection. With that in mind, I offer you these thoughts. I trust you will find some of them encouraging. Enjoy “Resurrection means endless hope. No resurrection means a hopeless end.”  David Garland “If you don’t believe in the Resurrection, you can go on living your life while perhaps admiring Jesus the man, appreciating his example, and even putting into practice some of his teachings. But if you believe that Jesus rose from the dea...

Thoughts From John Scudder

Dear Friends, Warmest regards to all on this day before the start of Lent, in the year of our Lord 2026! I hope your day is going well and you are (like me) counting down the days – 47 to be exact – until we get to celebrate Easter, or Resurrection Sunday. Lent is a longstanding tradition in Christian circles, and one that is useful if observed with a desire to grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus. Today’s entry is not specifically about Lent, although it points in that direction. It is the testimony of one man’s journey to faith in Jesus. A man who worked as a medical missionary in Madras, India, from 1836 until his death in 1855. I am sending it to you because when I walked into my office this morning, moved one book, and found a very small book hidden behind it! It is literally 2 inches wide by 3 inches high and 5/8 of an inch thick, with 214 pages! It’s an embossed leather-bound book, published by “The American Tract Society” in 1846. Its title is: “Provision for Passing ...

Thoughts From Dolores Curran

Dear Friends, There is much going on in our world that has many alarmed, saddened, conflicted, angry, and unsure what to think. Some posts I’ve seen online from prominent Christian leaders are speaking about this being the “end” leading to Christ’s return. Yet, as I was thinking about all that, I spotted a handout I use in premarital counselling on a pile on my desk. The heading is: “The 14 Traits of A Healthy Family.” It’s not a deflection from addressing all that’s going on, but a plea to remember that despite all that’s happening, there are still marriages or families that need help. There are families going through difficult times. There are children who still need direction. Children need to feel safe, see healthy relationships, and be taught healthy ways of responding or living in such stressful times – maybe even more so in these stressful times.   Therefore, I offer you these helpful insights to improve family health. They are the result of compiling a survey sent...