Skip to main content

Thoughts From Edgar Guest

Dear Friends,

At a breakfast gathering this morning one of those present spoke of how he sought to live out his faith before others rather than be really vocal about it. His comment made me think of a poem I have taped on the inside cover of my Bible by Edgar Guest entitled, “Sermons We See.” So, using Google on my phone I pulled up a copy and showed it to him. He smiled and nodded in agreement!


Guest, its author, was born in England in 1881 and died in Detroit, Michigan, in 1959. In his lifetime he wrote over 11,000 poems! He was very popular among the ‘common people’ who loved the simple manner of his poetry, and dubbed him, ‘The People’s Poet.” Yet, others found his work a bit sentimental, and his style too simplistic, including a contemporary poet, screenwriter, and literary critic, Dorothy (Rothschild) Parker who said tongue-in-cheek of his work, “I’d rather flunk my Wassermann test (ie: a test for sexually transmitted diseases) than read a poem by Edgar Guest.” I leave you to make your own decision. :)


Other than the poem below, I have not read one of his other poems. Yet this one expresses a sentiment I’ve heard often (like the example above), and one I hold to myself, admitting up front that we ALL FAIL TO VARYING DEGREES to live up to our ideals. After all, there was but One in history who ever lived what he taught 100% – and he also stressed the need to live in a way consistent with one’s beliefs. Enjoy.

SERMONS WE SEE

“I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day;
I'd rather one should walk with me than merely tell the way.
The eye's a better pupil and more willing than the ear,
Fine counsel is confusing, but example's always clear;
And the best of all the preachers are the men who live their creeds,
For to see good put in action is what everybody needs.



I soon can learn to do it if you'll let me see it done;
I can watch your hands in action, but your tongue too fast may run.
And the lecture you deliver may be very wise and true,
But I'd rather get my lessons by observing what you do;
For I might misunderstand you and the high advice you give,
But there's no misunderstanding how you act and how you live.

When I see a deed of kindness, I am eager to be kind.
When a weaker brother stumbles and a strong man stays behind
Just to see if he can help him, then the wish grows strong in me
To become as big and thoughtful as I know that friend to be.
And all travelers can witness that the best of guides today
Is not the one who tells them, but the one who shows the way.



One good man teaches many men to believe what they behold;
One deed of kindness noticed is worth forty that are told.
Who stands with men of honor learns to hold his honor dear,
For right living speaks a language which to everyone is clear.
Though an able speaker charms me with his eloquence, I say,
I'd rather see a sermon than to hear one, any day.”

The ideal would be a healthy mix of the two! We should make it our aim to “always be ready to give an answer to those who ask [us] to give the reason for the hope that is in [us], with meekness and fear” (I Pet. 3:15), AND by His grace we should seek to live in a way that is consistent with what we claim to believe. Otherwise, we can nullify with our inconsistent lives our testimony to the truth and faith we hope others would adopt.


If Only We Could be More like Jesus, Pastor Jeff

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts In Memory of Tim Keller

Dear Friends, News broke last Friday (May 19) that pastor Tim Keller had gone home to be with Jesus. I must say that his commitment to a gospel-centered understanding and application of Scripture, his determination to reach this generation, his encouragement to live out the Gospel through our lives and words and actions, his keen insights into contemporary culture, and his gracious way of engaging even with those he disagreed with – have been an inspiration to me and multitudes of others. He was truly a gift of God to many pastors and parishioners in our day. Therefore, today, in honor of his life and ministry, I offer you a mere sampling of 20 Tim Keller quotes. But I warn you that although reading Keller can be insightful and refreshing, it can also be a bit convicting and unsettling. Through his insights you will learn to see old things in a new light (which stirs the spirit!), but you will also discover that you do some of what you do for reasons other than what you had th

Thoughts From Priscilla Shirer

Dear Friends, During difficult times have you ever been tempted to focus only on the negative, the lack, the struggle, the sense of hopelessness? And if you were tempted to do so, did it blind you to what you did have? Did it cause you to overlook the blessings that were there all along, even in the midst of those times of lack? It’s not hard to do so. Our mounting concerns during difficult times can blind us to God’s supply. This week’s “thought” speaks to that situation. It comes from the devotional book entitled “Awaken” by Priscilla Shirer. A friend gave it to me a couple weeks back and I’m just starting to go through it. This particular devotion is entitled “What Do You Have?” and is based on II Kings 4:2 where a widow owes money, is confronted by creditors who come and threaten to take her two sons and sell them into slavery, in order to cover her debt. When Elisha finds out, he asks her: “What can I do for you? Tell me, what do you have in your house?” Priscilla’s

Thoughts From Horatio Spafford

Dear Friends, I like stories. True stories. And not always stories that have a happy ending. In fact, I have gained much solace from stories that were very sad (like this one), but were helpful because they were about real people, struggling with raw emotions, and real issues, in an imperfect and fallen world where our ultimate hope must rest elsewhere. This morning I read a story I've read before. It's one I have even shared from the pulpit before. And I know that many of you (like me) have already heard as well. But then I thought, "Maybe some do not know it." And if you happen to be one, you need to read on! I pass this story along for you. For those who have not heard the story behind the writing of the hymn, "It Is Well With My Soul" by Horatio Spafford. Because once you know the story behind it, it's hard to ever sing it again in the same way. And even if you already know it, it is always helpful to pause and think once again about a