Skip to main content

Thoughts From A.W. Tozer

Dear Friends,

I am not sure how you happen to feel about praying prayers written by others, but down through the ages there has been such a tradition in the Church. One that supports reading, meditating upon, and then praying the written prayers of others as if they were one’s own. Or as some prefer, a habit of reading them and then praying that person’s verbalized petitions in their own words. Either way, I believe that praying the thoughts and petitions of others as our own can have much spiritual value – when voiced from one’s heart, with an earnest desire to lay hold of such things by faith.

Therefore, I offer you three prayers written by A. W. Tozer. Prayers which struck my heart when I first read them in his book, “The Pursuit of God” and immediately felt led to pray them as if they were my own. Something I have done on more than one occasion. For in them I not only sense the heart of a true person of prayer, I sense a desire to possess what he requests. Maybe you will sense the same, and use his prayers to petition God for these same things. (I have revised some of the language.) Enjoy.

“O God, I have tasted of your goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need for further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, the Triune God, I want to want You. I long to be filled with longing. I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Your glory, I pray, that I may know You indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, “Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.” Then give me the grace to rise up and follow You from this misty lowland where I have wandered so long. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.”


“Father, I want to know You, but my cowardly heart fears giving up its toys. I cannot part with them without inward bleeding, and I do not try to hide from You the terror of the parting. I come trembling, but I do come. Please root from my heart all those things which I have cherished so long, and which have become a very part of my living self, so that You may enter and dwell there without a rival. Then shall You make the place of Your feet glorious. Then shall my heart have no need of the sun to shine in it, for You Yourself will be the light of it, and there will be no night there. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.”


Lord, I want to trust You completely. I want to be altogether Yours. I want to exalt You above all. I desire that I may feel no sense of possessing anything outside of You. I want to constantly be aware of Your overshadowing Presence and to hear Your speaking voice. I long to live in restful sincerity of heart. I want to live so fully in the Spirit that all my thoughts may be as sweet incense ascending to You, and every act of my life may be an act of worship. Therefore, I pray in the words of Your great servant of old, ‘I beseech You to so cleanse the intent of my heart with the unspeakable gift of Your grace, that I may perfectly love You and worthily praise You.’ And all this I confidently believe You will grant me, through the merits of Jesus Christ Your Son. Amen.”


I would ask you (if you feel so led) to pray these prayers, for it would seem to me that no Christian would take exception to any of the petitions he offers to God. Voice each petition (silently, or out loud) as an earnest and passionate petition of your own. Lift each request to God as if the words and desire originated in your own heart, and were welling up from within your own soul spontaneously. And then trust God to answer in His time and in His way.
 
Yours, in the Name of Him Who Answers the Prayers of His People, Pastor Jeff

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts On the Holy Spirit

Dear Friends, A. W. Tozer once said, “I think you will agree with me when I say that many people are confused about the Spirit of God.” What Christian who has walked in church circles for any length of time could disagree? That’s why I want to offer some helpful thoughts regarding the Holy Spirit from well-known saints, past and present. I trust you might find them useful in helping you listen to His guidance, respond to His leading, walk in His power, exercise His gifts, and be transformed by His presence in your life. Enjoy. “The Holy Spirit is not enthusiasm. Some people get enthusiastic and imagine it is the Holy Spirit. Some who get all worked up over a song imagine that this is the Spirit, but this does not necessarily follow. Some of these same people go out and live just like the sinful world. But the Holy Spirit never enters a man and then lets him live just like the world that hates God. In fact, that is the reason most people do not want to be filled with the

Thoughts In Memory of Tim Keller

Dear Friends, News broke last Friday (May 19) that pastor Tim Keller had gone home to be with Jesus. I must say that his commitment to a gospel-centered understanding and application of Scripture, his determination to reach this generation, his encouragement to live out the Gospel through our lives and words and actions, his keen insights into contemporary culture, and his gracious way of engaging even with those he disagreed with – have been an inspiration to me and multitudes of others. He was truly a gift of God to many pastors and parishioners in our day. Therefore, today, in honor of his life and ministry, I offer you a mere sampling of 20 Tim Keller quotes. But I warn you that although reading Keller can be insightful and refreshing, it can also be a bit convicting and unsettling. Through his insights you will learn to see old things in a new light (which stirs the spirit!), but you will also discover that you do some of what you do for reasons other than what you had th

Thoughts From Alex Cravens

Dear Friends, In watching news channels, it is hard not to notice (and I don’t care which station, as they all tend to do it to one extent or another) that they all like to play on our “fears.” And with good reason. Fear is a very powerful motivator. Often, far more of a motivator than love, or compassion, or seeking to be peacemakers. Fear gets people’s attention. It stirs up powerful emotions. It gets more viewers and brings in more revenue to the stations. As one friend of mine says, “if you want to know why, just follow the money trail.” After all, the tamer and less emotionally-hyped type of news delivery just doesn’t have the same power to attract viewers or bring in the money. In fact, about 4-5 days into my vacation last year, when I was finally starting to de-stress, relax, and unwind, I mistakenly turned on the news at our hotel. Yet, after a half hour of watching, I shut it off, shook my head, and said to Nancy (my wife for those who may not know!): “Well, they jus