Skip to main content

Thoughts From Pastor Jeff and Rev. Lee Tyler Robertson

Dear Friends,

Today I wanted to share three poems. The first one I wrote for my ordination service. It chronicles my conversion story, with each stanza referring to particular experiences I had in my life, including dreams and a stark momentary encounter with -- yes -- an angel. The other two poems/psalms are from a brother I have come to know and love who attends my church. Mine is just one of three I have written in my entire life(!), the other two are taken from Rev. Lee Tyler Robertson’s book, “Musings of a Heart – Vol. 1” which he gave me as a gift. All three have to do with the inner strength and help we get from Jesus. Enjoy.

JESUS

You sought me when my days were young,
Your love reached out through everyone.
Such gifts you gave, so rare and sweet –
Ten thousand clues laid at my feet –
And yet our paths did never meet.

You called to me from peaceful woods,
From morning dew which glistening stood,
In fields where flowers Your radiance shown,
And wildlife’s whisper in clear tones,
Called out to make Your glory known.

You called to me so many ways,
In dreams at night of ancient days,
Where on a distant hill there stood,
A silhouetted cross of wood.
And in the hush mine eyes did see,
A figure hanging there… for me.

I ran not knowing what to do,
But still your angels did pursue!
I shunned Your love! I knew Your creed!
T’was for sinners You did bleed.
My plans were set, I had no need.
My eyes were set on wealth and greed.

I turned my back on all You’d shown,
Excused away the love I’d known.
To me You’d been so kind and real,
But still my heart refused to yield.
So many kindnesses You’d shown,
And yet my heart had turned to stone!

I sought life’s thrills to fill the void.
There was no pleasure not employed.
For self I lived and breathed and slept.
Yet ever down my spirit crept,
Until in broken shame I wept,
To see the vigil You had kept.

“Such Love,” I said, “it cannot be;
That condescends to one like me!”
“If anything, I’ve earned Your rage —
Eternal wrath, the sinner’s wage!”
But You in loving mercy shone,
With greater love than e’re I’d known.

You touched and turned me Lord to You,
With love unfath’mable yet true.
You caused my hardened heart to see,
No greater joy could e’re there be,
Then loving You who first loved me.

Pastor Jeffrey F. Evans, March 15, 1987. Age 30.


FIGHT OR FLIGHT

Fight the flight.
Bear the fear.
It has no place here.

Fight the flight.
Turn and face it.
It ain’t always pretty.

Fight the flight.
Grin and bear it.
I won’t be the same!


My nature has changed,
‘Cause of Your nurture.

My nature has changed,
Nurtured in Your arms.

The longer You hold me, the stronger I get.
Never let go. Never forsake me.

I will run the race to the end.
I'll find my prize in those words:
“Well done, good and faithful servant.”

Rev. Lee Tyler Robertson

IN THE BLOOD

O Lord, You are the Protector.
When nightmares stalk my dreams to breed their fear,
You are present working to redeem me.

O Lord, heal my bloodline and cleanse it from its covenant.
No longer will I be a slave to sin.
Complete Your work in me.

O Lord, I will call on Your Name,
When the snake slithers, seen beneath the paper,
Seeking to seduce.

O Lord, its eyes are upon me,
But my eyes are fastened on You.
Let me see only truth.

It’s time to reveal the darkness that lingers in the blood.
You reveal, because I ask of You and You are ever faithful.
And have never failed me.

Give me courage to rise up.
Give me courage to fight for my inheritance.
For you have prepared me well.

My lips shout Your praise and cry Your name.
For You alone can save, and by You alone may I enter in.
Jesus, the precious name to shake the world.

Rev. Lee Tyler Robertson


For Jesus, whose love is beyond all human understanding, Pastor Jef

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts On the Holy Spirit

Dear Friends, A. W. Tozer once said, “I think you will agree with me when I say that many people are confused about the Spirit of God.” What Christian who has walked in church circles for any length of time could disagree? That’s why I want to offer some helpful thoughts regarding the Holy Spirit from well-known saints, past and present. I trust you might find them useful in helping you listen to His guidance, respond to His leading, walk in His power, exercise His gifts, and be transformed by His presence in your life. Enjoy. “The Holy Spirit is not enthusiasm. Some people get enthusiastic and imagine it is the Holy Spirit. Some who get all worked up over a song imagine that this is the Spirit, but this does not necessarily follow. Some of these same people go out and live just like the sinful world. But the Holy Spirit never enters a man and then lets him live just like the world that hates God. In fact, that is the reason most people do not want to be filled with the

Thoughts In Memory of Tim Keller

Dear Friends, News broke last Friday (May 19) that pastor Tim Keller had gone home to be with Jesus. I must say that his commitment to a gospel-centered understanding and application of Scripture, his determination to reach this generation, his encouragement to live out the Gospel through our lives and words and actions, his keen insights into contemporary culture, and his gracious way of engaging even with those he disagreed with – have been an inspiration to me and multitudes of others. He was truly a gift of God to many pastors and parishioners in our day. Therefore, today, in honor of his life and ministry, I offer you a mere sampling of 20 Tim Keller quotes. But I warn you that although reading Keller can be insightful and refreshing, it can also be a bit convicting and unsettling. Through his insights you will learn to see old things in a new light (which stirs the spirit!), but you will also discover that you do some of what you do for reasons other than what you had th

Thoughts From Alex Cravens

Dear Friends, In watching news channels, it is hard not to notice (and I don’t care which station, as they all tend to do it to one extent or another) that they all like to play on our “fears.” And with good reason. Fear is a very powerful motivator. Often, far more of a motivator than love, or compassion, or seeking to be peacemakers. Fear gets people’s attention. It stirs up powerful emotions. It gets more viewers and brings in more revenue to the stations. As one friend of mine says, “if you want to know why, just follow the money trail.” After all, the tamer and less emotionally-hyped type of news delivery just doesn’t have the same power to attract viewers or bring in the money. In fact, about 4-5 days into my vacation last year, when I was finally starting to de-stress, relax, and unwind, I mistakenly turned on the news at our hotel. Yet, after a half hour of watching, I shut it off, shook my head, and said to Nancy (my wife for those who may not know!): “Well, they jus