Skip to main content

Thoughts From Rebecca Kelsall

Dear Friends,

For those who may not know, today is “Shrove Tuesday” (from the Old English word “shriven” which means ‘absolved). Catholic people (more commonly in the past than the present) would go to the priest today, to be ‘absolved’ for their sins before the start of Lent on Ash Wednesday (tomorrow). The Lenten period is the 40-day period (minus Sundays) leading up to the Saturday before Easter.


In relation to all that I found this redemptively helpful and inspirational devotional entry in the CRU Lenten Devotional series for 2022, Day 7. It is titled, “Forgiven and Free” and was written by a CRU staff worker named Rebecca Kelsall. Enjoy.

“Lied to your parents. Lied to your friends. Gossiped. Cheated in school. Ditched class. Intentionally hurt someone else. Indulged in sexual sin…”

My cheeks burned pink. I was one of the hundred 15-year olds charged to confess my sins as part of a religious rite of passage. During this exercise, my confessor listed sins one-by-one while, with a nod or shake of the head, I either confirmed or denied my guilt. Though it was meant to make confession easier on our young souls, the drill made my heart beat fast and my stomach tighten as the list grew longer.


Growing up, I could relate to King David, who said, “I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me” (Psalm 51:3, NIV). I had a nagging sense of falling short. Sometimes, I was not sure why things I did were wrong, like when I messed up a ritual at church. But sometimes, I was keenly aware of my wrongdoing, like when I spoke spitefully to my brother, though I loved him dearly.

As I carried those moments with me, I wondered how to be better. I felt little relief after confession or ritual prayers meant to ease my guilt. Those moments grew into obsessions with my inadequacy and with becoming clean. And the obsessions grew into thoughts I couldn’t escape. I learned later that this was due, in part, to an anxiety disorder that went undetected for years. But even that revelation could not refute the truth that I had chosen to do sinful things which I could not undo.


Years later, I sat across from a friend who’d been determined to help me understand the love of God. I knew the story she shared about Jesus and the cross, but this time I snapped to attention. I stopped her and said, “Okay. I get it. Here’s what I don’t get. What do I have to do, and what do I have to avoid, to make sure God never stops loving me, to make sure I’m okay?”

She looked me in the eye, smiled, and said, “You never did anything to make God start loving you. You’ll never do anything to make Him stop.” Immediately, I said, “Wait ... what? Just like that?” My dear friend nodded, and I sat stunned, relieved in a way I’d never been before. Tears stung my eyes as I understood. That was why Jesus died: to show me that, in Him, my guilt can be forgiven once and for all, and that I really do belong to Him forever.


A weight lifted, and we both began to laugh. I was free. I could finally breathe. Later, I learned that I could walk in love rather than worry. Nothing can change what is true about me: I am forgiven and free, and I don’t have to carry the weight of those moments anymore.”

Her words express her journey into the wonderful discovery of God’s unearnable grace in Jesus. It’s a journey many people (myself included) found themselves on when trying to find relief from the guilt of sins they knew (all too well) they had committed. Some describe that sense of guilt as a heavy burden, an inner unsettledness, or a dark cloud that hangs over them. A burden which can (as she mentions) cause anxiety, deep inner regret, stress, and often sleepless nights. Yet, the discovery of the truth of the Gospel – that Christ came to provide the means for all our guilt to be forgiven through His sin-pardoning death – can bring freedom, relief, hope, and lead to an indescribable peace!


Yet, if we enter into Lent thinking that something we do, or take on, or give up, will make God love us more, we are defeated before we start. For NOTHING we could ever do has the ability to earn us even one iota more of God’s love than what Jesus secured for us through His substitutionary sacrifice on the cross! It can’t be done!

Can we do things that help us grow closer (from our side) to the God who loves us so? Yes, by all means. One of God’s blessed promises in Scripture explains what happens when we set aside time to spend with Him: “Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you” (James 4:8, ESV). Because we are often so distracted, or lured away by the things of the world, we find it hard to sense the deep love He has for us. So, time spent prioritizing and turning from needless or distracting things, to spend focused time alone with Jesus, can help break down the barriers we have put in place on our side. Barriers that make it difficult for us to know experientially the depths of the love He has for us, which is beyond human comprehension. Lent can be a time that reminds us to take the time to do that.



Living in His All-sufficient Grace, Pastor Jeff





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts On the Holy Spirit

Dear Friends, A. W. Tozer once said, “I think you will agree with me when I say that many people are confused about the Spirit of God.” What Christian who has walked in church circles for any length of time could disagree? That’s why I want to offer some helpful thoughts regarding the Holy Spirit from well-known saints, past and present. I trust you might find them useful in helping you listen to His guidance, respond to His leading, walk in His power, exercise His gifts, and be transformed by His presence in your life. Enjoy. “The Holy Spirit is not enthusiasm. Some people get enthusiastic and imagine it is the Holy Spirit. Some who get all worked up over a song imagine that this is the Spirit, but this does not necessarily follow. Some of these same people go out and live just like the sinful world. But the Holy Spirit never enters a man and then lets him live just like the world that hates God. In fact, that is the reason most people do not want to be filled with the

Thoughts In Memory of Tim Keller

Dear Friends, News broke last Friday (May 19) that pastor Tim Keller had gone home to be with Jesus. I must say that his commitment to a gospel-centered understanding and application of Scripture, his determination to reach this generation, his encouragement to live out the Gospel through our lives and words and actions, his keen insights into contemporary culture, and his gracious way of engaging even with those he disagreed with – have been an inspiration to me and multitudes of others. He was truly a gift of God to many pastors and parishioners in our day. Therefore, today, in honor of his life and ministry, I offer you a mere sampling of 20 Tim Keller quotes. But I warn you that although reading Keller can be insightful and refreshing, it can also be a bit convicting and unsettling. Through his insights you will learn to see old things in a new light (which stirs the spirit!), but you will also discover that you do some of what you do for reasons other than what you had th

Thoughts From Alex Cravens

Dear Friends, In watching news channels, it is hard not to notice (and I don’t care which station, as they all tend to do it to one extent or another) that they all like to play on our “fears.” And with good reason. Fear is a very powerful motivator. Often, far more of a motivator than love, or compassion, or seeking to be peacemakers. Fear gets people’s attention. It stirs up powerful emotions. It gets more viewers and brings in more revenue to the stations. As one friend of mine says, “if you want to know why, just follow the money trail.” After all, the tamer and less emotionally-hyped type of news delivery just doesn’t have the same power to attract viewers or bring in the money. In fact, about 4-5 days into my vacation last year, when I was finally starting to de-stress, relax, and unwind, I mistakenly turned on the news at our hotel. Yet, after a half hour of watching, I shut it off, shook my head, and said to Nancy (my wife for those who may not know!): “Well, they jus