Skip to main content

Thoughts From Carole Mayhall

Dear Friends,

Have you ever dealt with the feelings of despair, loneliness, betrayal, disappointment with God, or spiritual numbness? I have. I've dealt with each and every one at one time or another in my life. They are not fun. They hurt deeply. And depending on the depth of the struggle (or its cause) it takes a long time to move beyond them. In a fallen world where things are not as they should be, it's not uncommon to have to walk through such times – often more times than we would like.

That's why I offer you this excerpt from a very good book by Carole Mayhall entitled, "Help Lord, My Whole Life Hurts." I heard they changed the title in more recent years but cannot verify that. It made sense when the person told me, after all, who would want others seeing them buy a book with that title! Yet, her insights (after going through a very painful time where she and her husband saw a thriving ministry die though lies, slander, betrayal, and a rejection which drove them to despair) are profound. There are few who could not benefit from reading her book. This selection has to do with what she learned from that painful "stripping" process. Enjoy.

"Come let us return to the Lord. He has torn us to pieces, but He will heal us. He has injured us, but He will bind up our wounds." Hosea 6:1

"In stripping away all the props of self, personality, and gifts, God made us realize the total nothingness of ourselves and the total everythingness of Him. We talk much these days about needing to feel good about ourselves. And when we see how much God loves us and cares for us, we can feel how worthwhile we are. But sometimes God wants us to know, feel, and understand that without Him we can do nothing (see John 15:5). NO THING! I hope one lesson on this will be enough for Jack and me, because though vital, it was devastating.

God uses failure to soften us, because the hurt of defeat makes us sympathetic with the weaknesses of others. How can I be judgmental of others when I myself have failed? We must believe that God permits failure – that a loving God permits hard things, because the hard things bring the greatest victories, the deepest lessons, the most lasting changes.

Hannah Whitehall Smith wrote in "The Christian's Secret of Happy Life":

‘To the child of God, everything comes directly from their Father's hands, no matter who or what may have been the apparent agents. There are no "second causes" for them. Second causes must all be under the control of our Father, and not one of them can touch us except with His knowledge and permission. It may even be the sin of man that originates the action, and therefore the thing itself cannot be said to be the will of God; but by the time it reaches us it has become God's will for us and must be accepted as directly from His hands. No man or company of men, no power in earth or heaven, can touch that soul, which is abiding in Christ, without first passing through His encircling presence and receiving the seal of His permission... Nothing can disturb or harm us, except He shall see that it is best for us and shall stand aside to let it pass.’

You see, we are 'successful' when we are steadily becoming the unique person God intends us to become, and when we are doing what He asks us to do. If this is an accurate definition of success, and I believe it is, then that success can and will at times include failure.

One author says,
'Disappointments have forced me to wrestle with the truth that I can never fully figure God out and that I cannot put Him in a box. Hard times have made me realize I should not even pretend to know all His reasons for allowing me to go through what I go through. Frustrations cause me to trust Him even when I don't understand. Elusive success forces me to live by faith and not by sight'…

James Means says,
"I have observed that God sometimes deems it necessary to remove from me the external signs of His blessing in order that the pressure of darkness might prompt me to a new level of trust in Him. In God's reckoning, descent is the path to ascent, to suffer is to find freedom from suffering, to taste darkness is to approach eternal light, to become weak is to become strong. Each agonizing moment is essential, or God would not allow it. To be counted worthy of suffering is to enter an entirely new realm of spiritual experience. My suffering is seen as instrumental, not accidental, to the purpose of God."

We often fail to see the necessity of struggle and failure, because we fail to see that its purpose is to make us more humble, compassionate, loving, and increasingly dependent or reliant upon God. It's our struggles that help kill the ugly monster of self-exalting pride, fill us with empathy, and help us (like Paul) to rejoice in our weaknesses. It's our struggles that make us more gentle and understanding of others, as well as making us less critical and less controlling.

As much as we may hate trials and hardships while going through them, they do produce in us things that easy times simply cannot produce. In fact, at times the only hope, or promise (Rom. 8:28-29) that we have to cling to, is the promise that in the end they will mold and form us into the likeness of Jesus. Something only a true believer would even want, and a thought that gives us the strength to persevere through them.

For Those Who Struggle With a Love Comes To Us in That Form, Pastor Jeff

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Easter

Dear Friends, I trust Easter was for you a day of hope, rejoicing, re-visiting the empty tomb, and worshipping God for His redeeming grace. I know that in our culture “moving on to the next thing” as soon as a particular day or celebration has passed, is normal. Yet, today (before too much time passes) I wanted to share some true and beautiful thoughts on the resurrection. Easter has passed, but in the Christian faith the Lord’s Day (each and every Sunday, being the first day of the week, or the day Jesus rose) is a mini celebration of the resurrection. With that in mind, I offer you these thoughts. I trust you will find some of them encouraging. Enjoy “Resurrection means endless hope. No resurrection means a hopeless end.”  David Garland “If you don’t believe in the Resurrection, you can go on living your life while perhaps admiring Jesus the man, appreciating his example, and even putting into practice some of his teachings. But if you believe that Jesus rose from the dea...

Thoughts From John Scudder

Dear Friends, Warmest regards to all on this day before the start of Lent, in the year of our Lord 2026! I hope your day is going well and you are (like me) counting down the days – 47 to be exact – until we get to celebrate Easter, or Resurrection Sunday. Lent is a longstanding tradition in Christian circles, and one that is useful if observed with a desire to grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus. Today’s entry is not specifically about Lent, although it points in that direction. It is the testimony of one man’s journey to faith in Jesus. A man who worked as a medical missionary in Madras, India, from 1836 until his death in 1855. I am sending it to you because when I walked into my office this morning, moved one book, and found a very small book hidden behind it! It is literally 2 inches wide by 3 inches high and 5/8 of an inch thick, with 214 pages! It’s an embossed leather-bound book, published by “The American Tract Society” in 1846. Its title is: “Provision for Passing ...

Thoughts From Dolores Curran

Dear Friends, There is much going on in our world that has many alarmed, saddened, conflicted, angry, and unsure what to think. Some posts I’ve seen online from prominent Christian leaders are speaking about this being the “end” leading to Christ’s return. Yet, as I was thinking about all that, I spotted a handout I use in premarital counselling on a pile on my desk. The heading is: “The 14 Traits of A Healthy Family.” It’s not a deflection from addressing all that’s going on, but a plea to remember that despite all that’s happening, there are still marriages or families that need help. There are families going through difficult times. There are children who still need direction. Children need to feel safe, see healthy relationships, and be taught healthy ways of responding or living in such stressful times – maybe even more so in these stressful times.   Therefore, I offer you these helpful insights to improve family health. They are the result of compiling a survey sent...