Skip to main content

Thoughts On Prayer

Dear Friends,

I wanted to take this occasion to say I hope you all had a blessed Christmas observance (despite what was for many here in the U.S. a frigid weekend). I also wanted to take this occasion to wish you the best in the upcoming year. In fact, my "thought" for today is sent with the hope that it might guide you in the year to come. It includes four separate helpful insights on prayer that I have found extremely beneficial and have frequently shared with others. People often struggle with prayer if they pray and then forget about it until the next scheduled time of prayer. That's where these thoughts by Brother Lawrence, Jonathan Edwards, William H. Hewitson, and Andrew Bonar are helpful. Enjoy.



"The most holy and necessary practice in our spiritual life is the presence of God. That means finding constant pleasure in His divine company, speaking humbly and lovingly with him in all seasons, at every moment, without limiting the conversation in any way... He does not ask much of us, merely a thought of Him from time to time, a little act of adoration, sometimes to ask for His grace, sometimes to offer Him your sufferings, at other times to thank Him for the graces, past and present, which He has bestowed on you, or in the midst of your troubles to take solace in Him as often as you can. Lift up your heart to Him during your meals and in company; the least little remembrance will always be the most pleasing to Him. One need not cry out loudly; He is nearer to us than we think. The time of business does not differ with me from the time of prayer; and in the noise and clatter of my kitchen, while several persons are at the same time calling for different things, I possess God in as great tranquility as if I were on my knees.... It is possible for us to live in the very sense of the Lord's presence, under even the most difficult circumstances. If you and I are going to enjoy the peace of paradise during this life we must become accustomed to a familiar, humble, and very affectionate conversation with the Lord Jesus." Brother Lawrence (1614-1691), The Practice of the Presence of God


"My mind was greatly fixed on divine things; almost perpetually in the contemplation of them. I spent most of my time thinking of divine things, year after year, often walking alone in the woods, and solitary places, for meditation, for speaking my thoughts aloud when alone, in prayer and converse with God. And it was always my manner to sing forth my contemplations. I was almost always in ejaculatory prayer, wherever I was. Prayer seemed as natural to me as the breath by which the inward burnings of my heart could vent." Jonathan Edwards (1703-1758), Memoirs


"In our mutual intercourse and conversation -- amidst all the busiest scenes of our pilgrimage -- we may be moving to and fro on the rapid wing of prayer, of mental prayer. That prayer which lays the whole burden of the heart on a single sigh. A sigh breathed in the Spirit, though inaudible to all around us but God, may sanctify every conversation, every event in the history of the day... Prayer will be fatiguing to flesh and blood if uttered aloud and sustained long. Oral prayer, and prayer mentally ordered in words, though not uttered aloud, no believer can engage in without ceasing. But there is an undercurrent of prayer that may run continually under the stream of our thoughts and never weary us. Such prayer is the silent breathing of the Spirit of God, who dwells in our hearts (Rom. 8:9, and Col. 3:16). It is the temper and habit of the spiritual mind. It is the pulse of our life which is hidden with Christ in God."
William H. Hewitson (1812-1850), Hewitson's Life



"I find that unless I keep up short prayers every day, throughout the whole day, at intervals, I lose the spirit of prayer."
Andrew Bonar (1810-1892), Diary, 7th October, 1860

Reading the words of these men has helped me more than I can say, because they helped me understand what Paul surely meant when he said, "Pray without ceasing..." (I Thess. 5:17) and "Pray in the Spirit at all times with all kinds of prayers..." (Eph. 6:18). The men above teach how it is possible (even amidst the necessary activities of our day) to be praying. They tell us how we can enter into prayer, and never really leave prayer behind, "until we enter into the next scheduled time of prayer." We do it by keeping an inaudible undercurrent of prayer running continually under the stream of our thoughts throughout the day and into the night (Hewitson). Praise, song, thanks, petitions, seeking His assistance, being aware of His presence, and simply remembering Him as we go throughout the busiest of days is prayer. It really could change your 2023.


In Praise of the God who is Always Present, Knows All, Hears All, and Sees All, Pastor Jeff

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From John Scudder

Dear Friends, Warmest regards to all on this day before the start of Lent, in the year of our Lord 2026! I hope your day is going well and you are (like me) counting down the days – 47 to be exact – until we get to celebrate Easter, or Resurrection Sunday. Lent is a longstanding tradition in Christian circles, and one that is useful if observed with a desire to grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus. Today’s entry is not specifically about Lent, although it points in that direction. It is the testimony of one man’s journey to faith in Jesus. A man who worked as a medical missionary in Madras, India, from 1836 until his death in 1855. I am sending it to you because when I walked into my office this morning, moved one book, and found a very small book hidden behind it! It is literally 2 inches wide by 3 inches high and 5/8 of an inch thick, with 214 pages! It’s an embossed leather-bound book, published by “The American Tract Society” in 1846. Its title is: “Provision for Passing ...

Thoughts on Easter

Dear Friends, I trust Easter was for you a day of hope, rejoicing, re-visiting the empty tomb, and worshipping God for His redeeming grace. I know that in our culture “moving on to the next thing” as soon as a particular day or celebration has passed, is normal. Yet, today (before too much time passes) I wanted to share some true and beautiful thoughts on the resurrection. Easter has passed, but in the Christian faith the Lord’s Day (each and every Sunday, being the first day of the week, or the day Jesus rose) is a mini celebration of the resurrection. With that in mind, I offer you these thoughts. I trust you will find some of them encouraging. Enjoy “Resurrection means endless hope. No resurrection means a hopeless end.”  David Garland “If you don’t believe in the Resurrection, you can go on living your life while perhaps admiring Jesus the man, appreciating his example, and even putting into practice some of his teachings. But if you believe that Jesus rose from the dea...

Thoughts From Dolores Curran

Dear Friends, There is much going on in our world that has many alarmed, saddened, conflicted, angry, and unsure what to think. Some posts I’ve seen online from prominent Christian leaders are speaking about this being the “end” leading to Christ’s return. Yet, as I was thinking about all that, I spotted a handout I use in premarital counselling on a pile on my desk. The heading is: “The 14 Traits of A Healthy Family.” It’s not a deflection from addressing all that’s going on, but a plea to remember that despite all that’s happening, there are still marriages or families that need help. There are families going through difficult times. There are children who still need direction. Children need to feel safe, see healthy relationships, and be taught healthy ways of responding or living in such stressful times – maybe even more so in these stressful times.   Therefore, I offer you these helpful insights to improve family health. They are the result of compiling a survey sent...