Skip to main content

20 Compelling Thoughts

Dear Friends,

Today I offer you a collection of 20 compelling “thoughts” from many different people! You may agree or disagree – but each is worthy of your consideration. I chose them because I felt they were wise, insightful, helpful, and true! Enjoy.

“Keep company with the more cheerful sort of the godly, for there is no mirth like the mirth of believers.” Richard Baxter (1615-1691)

“If, as the Bible says, “laughter is good medicine’ (Proverbs 17:22), and God has ordained that there be in this world, ‘a time to laugh’ (Ecclesiastes 3:4), then no mind can be thoroughly equipped, and no heart can possess a full complement of virtues, if it is deficient of a sense of humor.”

“If you’re not allowed to laugh in heaven, I don’t want to go there.”
Martin Luther (1483-1546)

“The great use of life is to spend it for something that outlasts it.”
William James (1842-1910)

“Life becomes filled with meaning once it starts to be lived for Jesus.”
Anonymous

“Man has been given two ears and one mouth so that he might listen twice as much as he speaks.”
Walter Colton (1797-1851)

“The first duty of love is to listen.”
Paul Tillich (1886-1965)

“Fear imprisons, faith liberates; fear paralyzes, faith empowers; fear disheartens, faith encourages; fear sickens, faith heals; fear makes useless, faith makes serviceable – and most of all, fear puts hopelessness at the heart of life, while faith rejoices in it’s God.”
Harry Emerson Fosdick (1878-1969)

“Give me such love for God and man, as will blot out all hatred and bitterness.”
Dietrich Bonhoeffer (1906-1945)

“We are shaped and fashioned by what we love.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

“Self-admiration is the death of the soul. To admire ourselves as we are, is to have no wish to change, and with those who don’t want to change, the soul is dead.”
William Barclay (1907-1978)

“One of the marks of spiritual maturity is quiet confidence that God is in control… without the need to understand why he does what he does.”
Charles Swindoll (1934- )

“The more godly a man is, the more merciful that man will be.”
Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)

“Money is like muck, no good except to be spread around.”
Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

“Nothing that is God’s is obtainable by money.”
Tertullian (155-220)

“No man is poor who has had a godly mother.”
Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

“You can be as straight as a gun-barrel theologically – and just as empty as one spiritually.”
A. W. Tozer (1897-1963)

“Every church should be engaged in continuous self-reformation, scrutinizing its traditions in the light of Scripture and where necessary, modifying them.”
John R. W. Stott (1921-2011)

“The best answer to fear is to have a firm grasp of what it means to be accepted by God.”
John Gunstone (1927-2009)

“When I think upon my God, my heart is so full of joy that the notes dance and leap from my pen; and since God has given me a cheerful heart, it will be pardoned me that I serve Him with a cheerful spirit.” Franz Joseph Haydn (1732-1809)

Yours in the fellowship of the Gospel, Pastor Jeff

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From David Wilkerson

Dear Friends, I date myself when I suggest everyone knows David Wilkerson, author of the best-selling international adventure story (a true story) written in 1963 and titled “The Cross and the Switchblade.” It chronicled Wilkerson’s work with gangs in New York City and was later made into a biographical crime movie in 1970. One of his lesser-known books is a devotional book entitled, “I’m Not Mad at God,” published in 1967. I have selected three entries. I made some minor grammatical changes for better understanding. I trust at least one of them might hit home with you. Enjoy. "Stay here and keep watch with me." Matt. 26:38 "The true purpose of prayer is that we enjoy much personal communion with the Lord. The heart is reluctant to dwell in God's presence for long, and so it satisfies itself instead with 'devotions.' This describes a hurried period late at night, or early in the morning, when a quick prayer is offered to God after a...

Thoughts From Aristides and Diognetus

Dear Friends, I love history. In fact, if God had not called me to be a pastor, I might have ended up teaching history. Therefore, today, I share parts of two historical documents (from the second century) which I ran across while doing research for my sermon this past Sunday. I found each one intriguing and thought I would pass them along to you. They both have to do with the beliefs and lifestyles of early Christians. The 1st is by a man named Aristides the Philosopher, a man who was given the job of looking into the new “cult” called Christianity and reporting back to the Emperor Titus Hadrianus Antoninus with what he discovered (some believing he became a Christian himself by the time he finished it). The 2nd is by a man named Diognetus and is taken from his “Epistle of Diognetus.” I believe you will find them informative and challenging. Enjoy. Aristides reports to the Emperor Hadrianus Antoninus. “As for the Christians, they trace their line from Jesus Christ who is ...

A Reprint of the First Thought for the Week

Dear Friends, Today (after a 2-3 week break from sending out some thoughts) I am back at it! For those who may not have heard, I just finished 6 months of cancer treatments at the NIH, and after tests on July 24 was told that it has gone into remission. The next day we discovered Nancy’s mom had passed, with her funeral service being held last Monday. It’s been a busy time. So today, still catching up, I thought I would send out the first “Thought for the Week” I ever sent out – way back in February of 2008! Some may remember the story, while others will not. It’s the story behind the writing of the hymn “Precious Lord, Take My Hand” by Thomas Dorsey, published in 1938. I did not reference the book I found it in. Enjoy. The Story Behind the Song, “Precious Lord…” “Back in 1932, I was 32 years old, and a fairly new husband. My wife, Nettie and I were living in a little apartment on Chicago's south side. One hot August afternoon I had to go to St. Louis, wh...