Skip to main content

Thoughts From Edward Pearse

Dear Friends,

One of the key truths of the Gospel is our “union” with Christ by faith. It’s a union (or joining of the soul to Jesus) which is so real that the Bible can call believers (the Church universal, and all who truly make it up) the “Bride of Christ.” Therefore, I wanted to share an excerpt today from a book entitled, ‘The Soul’s Marriage (Espousal) to Christ.” The author, Edward Pearse (who died at 40 years of age from Tuberculosis) pastored St. Margaret’s Church, Westminster, next to Westminster Abbey, in London. I send this out as a way of helping answer his dying prayer – explained at the end. Enjoy.



The Three Acts of Faith by Which We Are Joined to Christ in a Marriage Covenant.
1st) An act of choice or election. In the act or work of believing, the soul is, by the Spirit of God, made solemnly and deliberately to choose Christ as its only Head and Husband, Lord and Savior, as He is offered in the Gospel… We may conceive of this act of faith in this way: The will is, by the Spirit of God, sweetly and powerfully compelled to embrace Christ, preferring Him for a Head and Husband, a Lord and Savior, before all others. It singles Him out, as it were, from all others, whether persons or things in heaven or earth, and embraces Him as the best Husband, the best Savior, the best Lord.


There are others who offer themselves to the soul out of the desire that it love and embrace them – such as sin, self, the law, and the world with all its enticements. But the believer passes by them all. In fact, he rejects them all with loathing and indignation, and leans upon Christ as the One who is infinitely best, saying to Him, ‘I will have none in heaven but you, and there is none on earth that I desire more than you.” …Of Christ the soul says, ‘There is none like Christ. No Head like this Head. No Husband like this Husband. No Savior like this Savior for my soul… No love like His love; no beauty like His beauty; no blood like His blood; no righteousness like His righteousness; no fullness like His fullness. He, therefore, and He alone, shall be my Head, my Husband, my Savior, and my all forever.’

2nd) An act of trust or dependence. As in the work of faith the soul is, by the Spirit of God, made to choose Christ, so also it is made to trust and depend upon Him for all grace, righteousness, and salvation. This faith is grounded upon Christ, it is anchored in Christ, it rests and relies upon Christ for all life and peace, and for all grace on earth and glory in heaven… Christ is the object of our hope and trust in regard to life and salvation. The soul has no hope in the law, or the first covenant; no hope in anything, not in heaven or on earth…

Christ bids me look to Him and be saved, and invites all those who are weary and heavy laden to come to Him for the promised rest. Why should I not rest and rely upon Him? I am a mighty sinner, but He is a mightier Savior. Have I sinned to the utmost? He has saved to the utmost. What shall I say? I am death, but Christ is life. I am darkness, but Christ is light. I am sin, but Christ is holiness. I am guilt, but Christ is righteousness. I am emptiness and nothingness, but Christ is fullness and sufficiency. I have broken the law, but Christ has fulfilled the law, and His life is infinitely able to swallow up my death; His light, my darkness; His holiness, my sin; His righteousness, my guilt; His fulness, my emptiness. On Him, therefore, I will lean and live and hope.

3rd) An act of resignation or submission. As in the work of faith the soul chooses Christ, and then depends on Him, so also the believer is, by the Spirit of God, made kindly and unreservedly to resign himself unto Christ, to be ruled and governed by Him as He should choose. By faith the soul relinquishes its own power and possession and gives itself into the power and possession of Jesus Christ, to be ruled, governed, and saved by Him as He sees good, which is properly that act of faith which we call resignation… The soul says, ‘Sweet Lord Jesus, I have been my own, and have lived too much in my own will, and to my own ends and interests; but now I desire to be yours, and to live in your will, and to your ends. Take possession of me and save me; rule me; lead me; and dispose of me as you please. Do all your pleasure in me; pull down and set up what you will. I will be, do, and suffer what you would have me to be, do, and suffer.


And this act is properly that act of faith whereby we surrender to Christ as Lord and King, and is, indeed, the evidence of the first two acts of faith. For although faith’s first aspect is to Christ as a Savior, yet faith must come to eye Him as Lord and King also. As faith is grounded on the saving work of Christ, so it freely bows to the scepter of Christ… To Christ the soul says, ‘I resign myself to you. I have no Lord but you. Take the whole throne within me to yourself. I know your yoke is an easy yoke, and I desire to bear it. Your sceptre is a righteous sceptre, and I desire to bow to it. Your kingdom is a kingdom of righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost, and I heartily desire to come under the power of it. I want to be sanctified as well as justified. I desire your Spirit to subdue my corruptions for me and to make me holy, as well as your blood to wash away my guilt for me and make me completely acceptable to You.’”


I have taken the liberty to update the language, since Pearse (a Puritan) wrote between 1660-1673. Yet, his pastoral heart and affectionate love for Jesus was so profoundly visible in what he writes here that I wanted to share it with you. As one who died at the relatively early age of 40, he did not get to do as much as he had hoped for Jesus, and as he saw the end coming, his dying prayer to God was that something of his might be useful after he died. I share this as part of making his desire come true – even 350 years after his passing.

In His Grace, Pastor Jeff

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts On the Holy Spirit

Dear Friends, A. W. Tozer once said, “I think you will agree with me when I say that many people are confused about the Spirit of God.” What Christian who has walked in church circles for any length of time could disagree? That’s why I want to offer some helpful thoughts regarding the Holy Spirit from well-known saints, past and present. I trust you might find them useful in helping you listen to His guidance, respond to His leading, walk in His power, exercise His gifts, and be transformed by His presence in your life. Enjoy. “The Holy Spirit is not enthusiasm. Some people get enthusiastic and imagine it is the Holy Spirit. Some who get all worked up over a song imagine that this is the Spirit, but this does not necessarily follow. Some of these same people go out and live just like the sinful world. But the Holy Spirit never enters a man and then lets him live just like the world that hates God. In fact, that is the reason most people do not want to be filled with the

Thoughts In Memory of Tim Keller

Dear Friends, News broke last Friday (May 19) that pastor Tim Keller had gone home to be with Jesus. I must say that his commitment to a gospel-centered understanding and application of Scripture, his determination to reach this generation, his encouragement to live out the Gospel through our lives and words and actions, his keen insights into contemporary culture, and his gracious way of engaging even with those he disagreed with – have been an inspiration to me and multitudes of others. He was truly a gift of God to many pastors and parishioners in our day. Therefore, today, in honor of his life and ministry, I offer you a mere sampling of 20 Tim Keller quotes. But I warn you that although reading Keller can be insightful and refreshing, it can also be a bit convicting and unsettling. Through his insights you will learn to see old things in a new light (which stirs the spirit!), but you will also discover that you do some of what you do for reasons other than what you had th

Thoughts From Diana Gruver

Dear Friends, In recent years I have found more and more people of all ages wrestling with depression, despite their faith in Christ and assurance of God’s goodness and faithfulness. Part of that (for the older folk) seems to be their struggle with a world so different from the one they grew up in, that they no longer feel at home in this world, while with younger people it seems to have a lot to do with the social isolation caused by their phones and social media. I know it sounds odd to say that social connectivity can lead to loneliness and depression, yet it’s true. It’s one thing to be connected electronically to others and another altogether to enjoy face to face “in the flesh” presence, eye contact, conversation, affection, laughter, and physical touch – even if it’s a simple handshake, hug or pat on the back. Better to have one committed, caring, loyal, ‘there in the flesh friend,’ than 1000 followers on Instagram merely leave a comment in your thread on occasion. Yet please do