Skip to main content

Thoughts From Hannah Hurnard

Dear Friends,

I’m always encouraged when a Christian (especially a well-known and well-respected Christian) is very honest and transparent about their personal flaws and struggles. Maybe it's because I’m so well-aware of my own that I find it comforting to know I’m not alone! After all, it strengthens one’s resolve to realize that others carry similar burdens. We find in the honest testimony of fellow-strugglers a friend in the fight. It gives us hope that change is possible. In fact, when we see that the Lord persevered with them – often for many years – and despite their flaws, it assures us of the Gospel promise that God is with us for the long-haul. He does not discard His people because we struggle with what the Puritans called “besetting” or long-standing sins.

That’s why I share today’s “thought.” It is a very honest confession by a very well-known Christian missionary and author named Hannah Hurnard (1905-1990) who wrote a best-selling Christian allegorical novel entitled, “Hinds' Feet on High Places.” Our struggles may be different in nature, but the lesson is the same – our God perseveres with us. May her willingness to be transparent help you. This selection is found in the book, “Practical Christianity.” Enjoy.


The Language of Heaven
“For many years I couldn’t talk without stuttering and hesitating. This was very humiliating to me. That changed when I was forty-five years old, after I had known the Lord for twenty-five years. I had been on the mission field for nearly twenty years when the Lord told me I must now learn to talk like the people of heaven. That meant I must not grumble and complain anymore. I must not talk about other people’s faults. I must not say things behind their backs that I wouldn’t like them to say about me.


At that time, I was accustomed to saying to a fellow missionary: “Let’s have a little prayer together to help you change… to see if God will help you stop stumbling.” The Lord Jesus said to me, “In heaven we don’t talk about faults. When you pray like that, I have to get up quietly and go out of the room. That leaves you talking to the four walls.”

I said, “Lord, I’m forty-five years old and my habits are fixed, but you help me alter them.” He said, “Hannah, you’re an addict. You find fault and talk about other people’s faults and criticize others all the time. There are plenty of other people to talk about faults – I don’t need you to do so. But you’re like an alcoholic. Don’t dare to give in to it once. If you promise not to make any exceptions, I’ll help you.”


“Well,” I said, “only your grace could do that, Lord.” And the Lord said, “I’m going to ask for one of the heavenly beings to take a coal from off the altar and to touch your lips with it.” Jesus then told me all the things I should say – the kind, helpful, and good things they talk about in heaven. The language of heaven is called blessing. He taught me how lovely it is always to draw attention to what is good.


Whenever Jesus spoke, the people “were amazed at the gracious words that came from his lips” (Luke 4:22). “For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him” (John 3:17). “Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one” (Colossians 4:6).


As soon as I stopped criticizing others, I was able to talk normally without hesitating and stammering. But whenever I fell back into my old habits, my stuttering came back. I’m a person who loves to talk. If God had allowed it, I would have gotten up on platforms and showed off. I would have spoken in my own strength instead of in his. I would have gone on criticizing and talking about people. And so I had to wait until I had grown sufficiently in spirit and in grace to understand a better way.”

The struggle may be different in different believers (since sin evidences itself differently in us all), but the Lord is always the same. He is a faithful Father to His children. A Father of whom Paul could say in Philippians 1:6, “I am confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”



Sometimes it takes a long time to get some things into our heads and hearts, especially (if like Hurnard) we are addicted to them. Thankfully God is more patient with us than even the best of our friends, and often more patient with us than we are with either ourselves, or we are with others. He works in us slowly but persistently, breaking down our resistance as He convicts and forms and molds and chisels; through trials and hardships and sometimes letting us fall flat on our face. Anything by which He can get our attention. At those times He often seems to speak the most clearly, and hopefully we listen, surrender, trust, and are changed – by the grace that was always there for us all along.



Your in the Hope of the Gospel, Pastor Jeff

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts On the Holy Spirit

Dear Friends, A. W. Tozer once said, “I think you will agree with me when I say that many people are confused about the Spirit of God.” What Christian who has walked in church circles for any length of time could disagree? That’s why I want to offer some helpful thoughts regarding the Holy Spirit from well-known saints, past and present. I trust you might find them useful in helping you listen to His guidance, respond to His leading, walk in His power, exercise His gifts, and be transformed by His presence in your life. Enjoy. “The Holy Spirit is not enthusiasm. Some people get enthusiastic and imagine it is the Holy Spirit. Some who get all worked up over a song imagine that this is the Spirit, but this does not necessarily follow. Some of these same people go out and live just like the sinful world. But the Holy Spirit never enters a man and then lets him live just like the world that hates God. In fact, that is the reason most people do not want to be filled with the

Thoughts In Memory of Tim Keller

Dear Friends, News broke last Friday (May 19) that pastor Tim Keller had gone home to be with Jesus. I must say that his commitment to a gospel-centered understanding and application of Scripture, his determination to reach this generation, his encouragement to live out the Gospel through our lives and words and actions, his keen insights into contemporary culture, and his gracious way of engaging even with those he disagreed with – have been an inspiration to me and multitudes of others. He was truly a gift of God to many pastors and parishioners in our day. Therefore, today, in honor of his life and ministry, I offer you a mere sampling of 20 Tim Keller quotes. But I warn you that although reading Keller can be insightful and refreshing, it can also be a bit convicting and unsettling. Through his insights you will learn to see old things in a new light (which stirs the spirit!), but you will also discover that you do some of what you do for reasons other than what you had th

Thoughts From Diana Gruver

Dear Friends, In recent years I have found more and more people of all ages wrestling with depression, despite their faith in Christ and assurance of God’s goodness and faithfulness. Part of that (for the older folk) seems to be their struggle with a world so different from the one they grew up in, that they no longer feel at home in this world, while with younger people it seems to have a lot to do with the social isolation caused by their phones and social media. I know it sounds odd to say that social connectivity can lead to loneliness and depression, yet it’s true. It’s one thing to be connected electronically to others and another altogether to enjoy face to face “in the flesh” presence, eye contact, conversation, affection, laughter, and physical touch – even if it’s a simple handshake, hug or pat on the back. Better to have one committed, caring, loyal, ‘there in the flesh friend,’ than 1000 followers on Instagram merely leave a comment in your thread on occasion. Yet please do