Skip to main content

Thoughts From Julie Garmon

Dear Friends,

I like like stories that have a twist which catches you off guard! You think it's heading in one direction, and you end up in a place you didn't expect, nodding in complete agreement. For me, that was today's entry. It's by Julie Garmon, and is found in "Daily Guideposts for 2018." Enjoy.


Letting God Be God
“I am the LORD; there is no other God. . .” – Isaiah 45:5 (NLT)

Twenty years ago, I told a close friend about some family members who had DUIs, court dates, and jail time. She insisted that I needed help and recommended Al-Anon. “I’m doing just fine,” I said. “The rest of them are in trouble.” However, I agreed to go. By the end of my first meeting, my own addictions were undeniable: people pleasing, perfectionism, trying to play God. My temptation wasn’t alcohol, but the “high” that comes from control.


After all these years of working my program, I had a relapse. My brother was living in a homeless shelter, and I had the powerful urge to fix him. After days of research, I located a hospital that treated the shelter’s residents free of charge, including counseling and medications. If my brother would simply follow my plan, we could turn his life around. I vowed to do whatever it took – weekly visits, lunch dates, and driving him to his appointments. All I needed was a few minutes to explain it to him.

The shelter manager arranged a phone call. When the number appeared on my caller ID, I felt the familiar adrenaline rush, the high that comes with control. I talked quickly, not sure how long my brother would listen. I offered to take him for an evaluation that very day. Holding my breath, I waited for his response. “Julie, I appreciate it,” he said, “but I’m doing fine. I don’t need any help.”

I couldn’t believe it. I had reverted to my addictive habits. Once more, I started all over again with step one: “I am powerless over. . .” Lord, help me to remember there is no other God but You."


Sin sometimes catches us by surprise. Most of us can probably point to an instance (as Julie does above) where we thought it was the other person who had a problem, only to realize later that we ourselves had a significant problem. And the one she points out is as old as our race! As a former professor of mine once pointed out: "A surprising number of Christian's have a 'Savior Complex.'" They see the world is a mess. It needs to be fixed. And they feel they're called to help straighten it out! But they often forget that a major part of straightening anything out begins with admitting one's own problems and short-comings and addressing one's own issues, faults, and sin-addictions. Like Julie above (who must be commended for her great humility, transparency and vulnerability) it begins with being brutally honest with ourselves and coming to the point where we could also confess such problems as, "people pleasing and perfectionism" and the sin of "trying to play God." Not an addiction to drugs, or alcohol, or our jobs, or social media, or porn, "but the “high” that comes from control."


Though we are called to be like an oil lamp (a dim light) and salt that savors, we can sometimes forget there is only one Savior. And His name is not Bill or Sandy or Jill or Jeff (yes, we pastor's can be especially apt to fall prey to such notions) or... (fill in your name) - it's JESUS the Christ. And, yes, though the lines can sometimes get blurred (and churches are notoriously susceptible when it comes to thinking it's Ok) there is a big difference between guiding, helping, encouraging, or setting healthy boundaries, and trying to play God by seeking to control people and situations.

Lord give us the grace to know the difference. Then let us be content (contrary to our nature) to never try to take your job from you, and simply let you be you.


Help us, LORD, to remember: there is no God but You, Pastor Jeff

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From John Scudder

Dear Friends, Warmest regards to all on this day before the start of Lent, in the year of our Lord 2026! I hope your day is going well and you are (like me) counting down the days – 47 to be exact – until we get to celebrate Easter, or Resurrection Sunday. Lent is a longstanding tradition in Christian circles, and one that is useful if observed with a desire to grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus. Today’s entry is not specifically about Lent, although it points in that direction. It is the testimony of one man’s journey to faith in Jesus. A man who worked as a medical missionary in Madras, India, from 1836 until his death in 1855. I am sending it to you because when I walked into my office this morning, moved one book, and found a very small book hidden behind it! It is literally 2 inches wide by 3 inches high and 5/8 of an inch thick, with 214 pages! It’s an embossed leather-bound book, published by “The American Tract Society” in 1846. Its title is: “Provision for Passing ...

Thoughts on Easter

Dear Friends, I trust Easter was for you a day of hope, rejoicing, re-visiting the empty tomb, and worshipping God for His redeeming grace. I know that in our culture “moving on to the next thing” as soon as a particular day or celebration has passed, is normal. Yet, today (before too much time passes) I wanted to share some true and beautiful thoughts on the resurrection. Easter has passed, but in the Christian faith the Lord’s Day (each and every Sunday, being the first day of the week, or the day Jesus rose) is a mini celebration of the resurrection. With that in mind, I offer you these thoughts. I trust you will find some of them encouraging. Enjoy “Resurrection means endless hope. No resurrection means a hopeless end.”  David Garland “If you don’t believe in the Resurrection, you can go on living your life while perhaps admiring Jesus the man, appreciating his example, and even putting into practice some of his teachings. But if you believe that Jesus rose from the dea...

Thoughts From Dolores Curran

Dear Friends, There is much going on in our world that has many alarmed, saddened, conflicted, angry, and unsure what to think. Some posts I’ve seen online from prominent Christian leaders are speaking about this being the “end” leading to Christ’s return. Yet, as I was thinking about all that, I spotted a handout I use in premarital counselling on a pile on my desk. The heading is: “The 14 Traits of A Healthy Family.” It’s not a deflection from addressing all that’s going on, but a plea to remember that despite all that’s happening, there are still marriages or families that need help. There are families going through difficult times. There are children who still need direction. Children need to feel safe, see healthy relationships, and be taught healthy ways of responding or living in such stressful times – maybe even more so in these stressful times.   Therefore, I offer you these helpful insights to improve family health. They are the result of compiling a survey sent...