Skip to main content

Thoughts From Peace Ike

Dear Friends,

Today's "thought" comes to you from a lady named Peace Ike, a physical therapist, musician, community organizer, worship leader, friend and supporter of the CCO (the Coalition for Christian Outreach -- on college campuses). She wrote this entry for this year's CCO Advent Devotionals. They have all been good, but I chose this one because... just because! I trust you might be encouraged by it as we head into the Christmas season. Enjoy.



A Word for the Planners

"The other day, I had a long conversation with an old friend of mine whom I hadn’t talked to in years. I wanted to see how she was holding up with all of the “ups and downs”— or more accurately, just the “downs”— of 2020. This friend and I used to serve in ministry together at a local church, but we’ve since parted ways as God has called us in different directions. After exchanging niceties, I asked her how she was really doing. “Horrible,” she said.

She told me that she had been furloughed due to the pandemic, was struggling to make ends meet, had a sick relative in the hospital, and to top it all off, her year-long relationship with her significant other had just come to an end. Upon hearing this, my heart broke for her. She went on to say, “I’m just questioning everything I thought I knew. I don’t even know what I believe. God doesn’t seem very real to me anymore.”

My heart sank. This year, having claimed so many victims both physically and emotionally, seemed to be gaining traction as it sought to destabilize my friend spiritually. I remembered her passion, how she would lead worship and encourage others to press in to God’s presence. And I remembered the conviction that had once been such an inspiration to me when I needed it the most. As any good friend would, I listened, heavy-hearted because of her pain. I gave her room to vent, cry, and grieve. And then I offered her the encouragement she had once offered me before we closed out in prayer.

After hanging up, I thought, “What's happening, Lord? Your people are losing hope.” And immediately I felt a deep impression in my spirit, as if God spoke a response — “My people have become too comfortable.” For many of us, life has been far from a walk in the park. We’ve encountered our fair share of personal pains and losses. And yet for so long, the church in our country has experienced a season of relative prosperity as the society around us rested in a measure of stability and predictability.


But what happens when everything we have come to rely on falls apart?

Can our faith withstand the trials and tribulations? When everything that can be shaken is shaken, have we found that we have built our faith on the solid rock? Or have we become too comfortable? In John 16:33, Jesus tells us, “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

This is one of my all-time favorite verses in the Bible. As a self-professed planner, I am beyond grateful that God sought fit to warn me ahead of time that life would most certainly bring me trouble. And yet, in the midst of these hard times, I don’t have to feel defeated, because Jesus has overcome all trouble —including death and the grave.


This reality is the key to maintaining our faith in difficult times. And not only does it solidify our faith, it unlocks unexplainable joy, because we realize that when we encounter trials, “the testing of our faith produces endurance” (James 1:3), which refines and transforms us to look more and more like Christ, the One who came humbly to the manger to bring joy and hope to a dark and dying world. This is the destination!

So, have we lost the plot? What is this Christian walk all about?

Is the goodness of God only reflected in our job security, our excellent health, or our significant other? Or despite hardships, do we “press on towards the goal to win the prize for which God has called us heavenward in Christ Jesus” (Phillipians 3:14), realizing that “we have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure” (Hebrews 6:19)?

As I reflected on my conversation with my friend, a thought hit me like a ton of bricks. Ten years ago, she had been the one holding me up and encouraging me through some of the darkest times in my life. My ability to now be strong for her when she was struggling was not a reflection of any spiritual prowess on my part. And her newfound uncertainty was not a reflection of any weakness on her part. Rather, I understood that—for her and for me—facing tribulation is a promise that we will all encounter at some point along our life journeys, many of us more than once. And when we do, the shaking that it produces will likely bring us to our breaking point. Then we must ask ourselves, Do I still believe in God’s goodness? And will I draw near to Him?


Don’t give up! The prize is so worth the race. He is our comforter. Our provider. Our friend. Our mentor. Our counselor. Our joy. And do not forget: He is the prize."

With prayers that during this season (and beyond) your eyes might be lifted to see Jesus, Pastor Jeff





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts On the Holy Spirit

Dear Friends, A. W. Tozer once said, “I think you will agree with me when I say that many people are confused about the Spirit of God.” What Christian who has walked in church circles for any length of time could disagree? That’s why I want to offer some helpful thoughts regarding the Holy Spirit from well-known saints, past and present. I trust you might find them useful in helping you listen to His guidance, respond to His leading, walk in His power, exercise His gifts, and be transformed by His presence in your life. Enjoy. “The Holy Spirit is not enthusiasm. Some people get enthusiastic and imagine it is the Holy Spirit. Some who get all worked up over a song imagine that this is the Spirit, but this does not necessarily follow. Some of these same people go out and live just like the sinful world. But the Holy Spirit never enters a man and then lets him live just like the world that hates God. In fact, that is the reason most people do not want to be filled with the

Thoughts In Memory of Tim Keller

Dear Friends, News broke last Friday (May 19) that pastor Tim Keller had gone home to be with Jesus. I must say that his commitment to a gospel-centered understanding and application of Scripture, his determination to reach this generation, his encouragement to live out the Gospel through our lives and words and actions, his keen insights into contemporary culture, and his gracious way of engaging even with those he disagreed with – have been an inspiration to me and multitudes of others. He was truly a gift of God to many pastors and parishioners in our day. Therefore, today, in honor of his life and ministry, I offer you a mere sampling of 20 Tim Keller quotes. But I warn you that although reading Keller can be insightful and refreshing, it can also be a bit convicting and unsettling. Through his insights you will learn to see old things in a new light (which stirs the spirit!), but you will also discover that you do some of what you do for reasons other than what you had th

Thoughts From Diana Gruver

Dear Friends, In recent years I have found more and more people of all ages wrestling with depression, despite their faith in Christ and assurance of God’s goodness and faithfulness. Part of that (for the older folk) seems to be their struggle with a world so different from the one they grew up in, that they no longer feel at home in this world, while with younger people it seems to have a lot to do with the social isolation caused by their phones and social media. I know it sounds odd to say that social connectivity can lead to loneliness and depression, yet it’s true. It’s one thing to be connected electronically to others and another altogether to enjoy face to face “in the flesh” presence, eye contact, conversation, affection, laughter, and physical touch – even if it’s a simple handshake, hug or pat on the back. Better to have one committed, caring, loyal, ‘there in the flesh friend,’ than 1000 followers on Instagram merely leave a comment in your thread on occasion. Yet please do