Skip to main content

Thoughts From Ravi Zacharias

Dear Friends,

Today's "thought" (expressed through a story) comes from a man I regard (or in light of his passing earlier this year after a battle with cancer, regarded) very highly - Ravi Zacharias. He was a wise, thoughtful, and godly defender of the Christian faith, who treated all with respect - even those he thoroughly disagreed with and earnestly debated. Having watched many of his lectures and debates, I can honestly say I never heard a harsh word come out of his mouth. I never heard him put down or make fun of an "opponent." To me, he embodied what it meant to "speak the truth in love." I saw Jesus in Ravi.



Today's selection is taken from his book "Can Man Live Without God" (lectures presented at Harvard University), where he speaks about living life by considering death and what (better yet Who) lies beyond. Enjoy.

"A short while ago I happened to be speaking in a church where a member of the pastoral staff asked me if I would be willing to visit someone whom I did not know, but who had been at some meeting where I had spoken the year before. She had evidently cherished those meetings and enjoyed listening to tapes of the messages. Now she was dying of AIDS, and I, along with my wife and a colleague, immediately took the opportunity to visit her.


I wish I could fully express to you my emotions on that occasion. There, coalesced in that room, were both the pitiful reality of an undignified death and the greatness of courage and faith within the human heart. The apartment building was situated in a prime location where the city's renowned historic landmarks could be viewed. But our dying friend could no longer enjoy that view -- her life was ebbing away. As we entered her apartment, we started down the stairs that led to the living room. On the sofa sat her parents, and by her side stood a friend. She herself lay pathetically emaciated and utterly without strength. Nevertheless, she turned her head feebly at the sound of someone coming, not knowing who it was, and when she caught sight of us she gasped. As I bent down and hugged her, she kept repeating, "I don't believe it. I don't believe it." I shall spare you the details of our conversation, but I would like to share two simple thoughts.

As I looked around the room I saw on a table within her reach a tape recorder and some tapes, and a book opened, facedown. The title of the book said it all -- The Hunger for Significance. Before I left, I asked if we could pray together, and with much delight she agreed. I looked at her dreadful physical condition, completely bereft of any form, just skin and bones. We bowed our heads and prayed, and when I opened my eyes I caught a twinkle in hers. She reached out to me, and I hugged her again before we left. She well knew that life for her was at its end, but from within her glowed a hope that transcended the present. Although some of her choices in life had taken their toll, she had in the previous two years made the greatest choice she could, the choice to trust God to take her through this, and then beyond the grave. Five days later she died, and according to the promise of Scripture, I know she realized that hope. Christ lived, died and rose again to proclaim the promise of heaven.


Let me now transport you from the aroma of death in that foreboding setting to a palace in London. The occasion was a Christmas Eve address to the British Commonwealth delivered by King George VI. His closing quotation, during those difficult days for Britain and the world following WWII, have been etched in the memories of those who were in positions of leadership at that time in history.

"I said to the man at the Gate of the Year, "Give me a light that I may walk safely into the unknown."
He said to me, "Go out into the darkness, and put your hand in the hand of God, and it shall be to
you better than the light, and safer than the known.""


As he spoke, his listeners were unaware that the king was dying of cancer. These words were to become an anchor in his own time of need. From individual need to international struggles, the only hope that makes sense and is legitimate is the hope that comes from God, the hope of life beyond death. Where there is no answer for death, hopelessness inevitably invades life. Blaise Pascal (the famous French physicist and devout believer) knew whereof he spoke when he said that he had learned to define life backwards and live it forwards. By that he meant that he first defined death, and then lived his life accordingly. That makes complete sense, since all journeys are planned with the destination in view. The apostle Paul said, "I want to know Christ and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings" (Phil. 3:10). The resurrection of Christ from the dead informs suffering, and that is why the existence of God and the confidence of hope go together. Life is no longer seen through the foggy glass of finitude, but through the clearer vision of God Himself, who brings victory over death."

Anyone who looks around at the contemporary scene cannot help but see that many have a "Hunger for Significance" - yet reject the very truth of God that would impart that significance to them. Others fear death as the end, and seek to avoid even thinking of it until it stares them in the face.


True hope for joy beyond the grave (in society at large) is a rare commodity. After all, when one lives life as if all that matters is the journey, with no concern about arriving at an ultimate destination, it can be pretty depressing when the end comes. Life lived without a final destination in view leaves people floundering in a life filled with self, the pursuit of pleasure, insignificance and meaninglessness. A problem that can be resolved only, as Pascal taught, if one considers death, and the ultimate reality of God, and then lives life in light of it and Him.


As Scripture affirms so many times, life is short! It's a vapor. A mere mist. Dew on blades of grass that dry up before noon. Think of how short it is! It will be here before you know it, says Scripture! Ponder it long and hard! Don't deny it, but rather, stare it in the face and consider what lies beyond it. Prepare to meet your Maker! Trust in Him, and then, infused with the hope of eternity, go back and start to live life.


His, Pastor Jeff







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts On the Holy Spirit

Dear Friends, A. W. Tozer once said, “I think you will agree with me when I say that many people are confused about the Spirit of God.” What Christian who has walked in church circles for any length of time could disagree? That’s why I want to offer some helpful thoughts regarding the Holy Spirit from well-known saints, past and present. I trust you might find them useful in helping you listen to His guidance, respond to His leading, walk in His power, exercise His gifts, and be transformed by His presence in your life. Enjoy. “The Holy Spirit is not enthusiasm. Some people get enthusiastic and imagine it is the Holy Spirit. Some who get all worked up over a song imagine that this is the Spirit, but this does not necessarily follow. Some of these same people go out and live just like the sinful world. But the Holy Spirit never enters a man and then lets him live just like the world that hates God. In fact, that is the reason most people do not want to be filled with the

Thoughts In Memory of Tim Keller

Dear Friends, News broke last Friday (May 19) that pastor Tim Keller had gone home to be with Jesus. I must say that his commitment to a gospel-centered understanding and application of Scripture, his determination to reach this generation, his encouragement to live out the Gospel through our lives and words and actions, his keen insights into contemporary culture, and his gracious way of engaging even with those he disagreed with – have been an inspiration to me and multitudes of others. He was truly a gift of God to many pastors and parishioners in our day. Therefore, today, in honor of his life and ministry, I offer you a mere sampling of 20 Tim Keller quotes. But I warn you that although reading Keller can be insightful and refreshing, it can also be a bit convicting and unsettling. Through his insights you will learn to see old things in a new light (which stirs the spirit!), but you will also discover that you do some of what you do for reasons other than what you had th

Thoughts From Diana Gruver

Dear Friends, In recent years I have found more and more people of all ages wrestling with depression, despite their faith in Christ and assurance of God’s goodness and faithfulness. Part of that (for the older folk) seems to be their struggle with a world so different from the one they grew up in, that they no longer feel at home in this world, while with younger people it seems to have a lot to do with the social isolation caused by their phones and social media. I know it sounds odd to say that social connectivity can lead to loneliness and depression, yet it’s true. It’s one thing to be connected electronically to others and another altogether to enjoy face to face “in the flesh” presence, eye contact, conversation, affection, laughter, and physical touch – even if it’s a simple handshake, hug or pat on the back. Better to have one committed, caring, loyal, ‘there in the flesh friend,’ than 1000 followers on Instagram merely leave a comment in your thread on occasion. Yet please do