Skip to main content

Sustaining Essentials of the Christian Faith

Greetings Friends,

In times of change and stress and the looming unknown, people often turn to see if there is a contemporary voice crying in the wilderness offering some new insight or spiritual counsel to get them through. I listened to one such person who said he had heard from God and God had told him that the scenario the experts were painting was not God's plan. But the problem I had was that when he shared what God had told him, it sounded an awful lot like the American Dream put in God's mouth - health, wealth and prosperity. Others seem intent on trying to keep everything positive, having learned the lesson of painting a dreary outlook which led to people making a run on the banks and causing the stock market crash leading us into the Great Depression.
But don't get me wrong: I'm not opposed to optimism, or giving people hope! As a minister of the Gospel that's part of my calling! But I do need to be clear: My hope is not in optimism. My hope is not that things will simply go back to the way they were before this unseen worldwide interruption fell upon us seemingly out of the blue. My hope is that people's focus will be changed and reoriented in a God-ward direction. My hope is that we will all learn and grow and be different people as a result of going through this time and experience. My hope is that we will be brought back to our spiritual roots. That much of the "cultural stuff" that has been blended into Christianity so tightly that people can't tell what is Christian and what is cultural, will be sifted off like chaff from the wheat. My hope is for a return to the purity of the simple Gospel and a Christ-centered and Christ-honoring faith.
Call me old fashioned, or whatever, but I tend to turn to the people whose counsel is time-proven. The rich counsel of people from the past. So, today, I simply want to remind you of some hope-sustaining truths which I consider some of the most substantial bits of spiritual counsel outside the Bible. I could listen to many voices today, but few match (in depth and helpfulness) the encouragement offered in these statements written hundreds of years ago. Thus I offer them to encourage and strengthen your soul. Enjoy.

Heidelberg Catechism, 1563.
Question #1: What is your only comfort in life and death?
A. That I am not my own, but belong with body and soul, both in life and in death, to my faithful Savior Jesus Christ. He has fully paid for all my sins with His precious blood, and has set me free from all the power of the devil. He also preserves me in such a way that without the will of my heavenly Father not a hair can fall from my head; indeed, all things must work together for my salvation. Therefore, by His Holy Spirit He also assures me of eternal life and makes me heartily willing and ready, from now on, to live for Him.
Westminster Confession of Faith, 1647:
What is the chief end of man?
The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever.

What is God?
God is a Spirit, in and of himself infinite in being, glory, blessedness, and perfection; all-sufficient, eternal, unchangeable, incomprehensible, everywhere present, almighty, knowing all things, most wise, most holy, most just, most merciful and gracious, long-suffering, and abundant in goodness and truth.
What is God’s Providence?
God, the great Creator of all things, does uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by his most wise and holy providence, according to his infallible foreknowledge, and the free and immutable counsel of his own will, to the praise of the glory of his wisdom, power, justice, goodness and mercy.
What sustains my soul in trying times is the reminder of the essentials of the Christian faith. A needed reminder of the nature and qualities of God and our Christ. Consider what is said, and may such truths minister to your soul as we all go through these times together.

In His Grace, Pastor Jeff

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts On the Holy Spirit

Dear Friends, A. W. Tozer once said, “I think you will agree with me when I say that many people are confused about the Spirit of God.” What Christian who has walked in church circles for any length of time could disagree? That’s why I want to offer some helpful thoughts regarding the Holy Spirit from well-known saints, past and present. I trust you might find them useful in helping you listen to His guidance, respond to His leading, walk in His power, exercise His gifts, and be transformed by His presence in your life. Enjoy. “The Holy Spirit is not enthusiasm. Some people get enthusiastic and imagine it is the Holy Spirit. Some who get all worked up over a song imagine that this is the Spirit, but this does not necessarily follow. Some of these same people go out and live just like the sinful world. But the Holy Spirit never enters a man and then lets him live just like the world that hates God. In fact, that is the reason most people do not want to be filled with the

Thoughts In Memory of Tim Keller

Dear Friends, News broke last Friday (May 19) that pastor Tim Keller had gone home to be with Jesus. I must say that his commitment to a gospel-centered understanding and application of Scripture, his determination to reach this generation, his encouragement to live out the Gospel through our lives and words and actions, his keen insights into contemporary culture, and his gracious way of engaging even with those he disagreed with – have been an inspiration to me and multitudes of others. He was truly a gift of God to many pastors and parishioners in our day. Therefore, today, in honor of his life and ministry, I offer you a mere sampling of 20 Tim Keller quotes. But I warn you that although reading Keller can be insightful and refreshing, it can also be a bit convicting and unsettling. Through his insights you will learn to see old things in a new light (which stirs the spirit!), but you will also discover that you do some of what you do for reasons other than what you had th

Thoughts From Diana Gruver

Dear Friends, In recent years I have found more and more people of all ages wrestling with depression, despite their faith in Christ and assurance of God’s goodness and faithfulness. Part of that (for the older folk) seems to be their struggle with a world so different from the one they grew up in, that they no longer feel at home in this world, while with younger people it seems to have a lot to do with the social isolation caused by their phones and social media. I know it sounds odd to say that social connectivity can lead to loneliness and depression, yet it’s true. It’s one thing to be connected electronically to others and another altogether to enjoy face to face “in the flesh” presence, eye contact, conversation, affection, laughter, and physical touch – even if it’s a simple handshake, hug or pat on the back. Better to have one committed, caring, loyal, ‘there in the flesh friend,’ than 1000 followers on Instagram merely leave a comment in your thread on occasion. Yet please do