Skip to main content

20 Short Thoughts

Dear Friends,

Today I send you 20 short thoughts to ponder as you are holed up in your homes looking for things to do! We did not ask for this, but it is a good time to re-learn the somewhat forgotten art of Christian meditation or spiritual contemplation, seeking to focus on the fuller or more comprehensive meaning (or application) contained in just a few short words or sentences. Sometimes short "one-liners" can have a powerful impact when one pauses to consider all that has been packed into them. Enjoy.

“For He Himself IS our peace...”
Apostle Paul (Ephesians 2:14)

“God doesn’t love us because of our worth, we are of worth because God loves us.”
Martin Luther

“The Christian life is not a constant high. I have moments of deep discouragement. I have to go to God in prayer with tears in my eyes and say, “O God forgive me,” or “Help me.”
Billy Graham
“We shall never be clothed with the righteousness of Christ except we first know assuredly that we have no acceptable righteousness of our own.”
John Calvin

“The mere whisper of the Holy Spirit can drown out the thundering noise of an entire world.”
David Jeremiah

“I must listen to the Gospel. It tells me not what I must do, but what Jesus Christ, the Son of God, has done for me.”
Martin Luther

“There is someone I love, even though I don’t approve of what he does. There is someone I accept, though some of his thoughts and actions revolt me. There is someone I forgive, though he hurts the people I love the most. That person is me.”
C. S. Lewis

“If they are wrong, they need your prayers all the more; and if they are your enemies, then you are under orders to pray for them.”
C. S. Lewis

“If the devil cannot make us bad, he will make us busy.”
Corrie Ten Boom

“I don’t have a vision except for Jesus Christ. I don’t want to be anything. I don’t want to be a bigshot. I don’t want to be important. I don’t want to conquer the world. I just want to be pleasing to God today and that is enough. That is enough. Yet strive as I might, I haven’t obtained that goal, so why should I look for another.” 
Paul Washer

“Whether we like it or not, God intends to give us what we need, not what we now think we want.”
C. S. Lewis

“What is it about your own miserable works and doings that you think could please God more than the sacrifice of His Son?”
Martin Luther
“To argue that God is “trying His best” to save all mankind, but that the majority of men will not let Him save them, is to insist that the will of the Creator is impotent, and that the will of the creature is omnipotent.”
A. W. Pink

“When I was coming to Christ, I thought I was doing it all myself; and although I sought the Lord earnestly, I had no idea the Lord was seeking me.” 
 Charles Spurgeon

“I am more afraid of my own heart than of the pope and all his cardinals. I have within me the great pope, self.”
Martin Luther
“My faith rests not in what I am, or shall be, or feel, or know, but in what Christ is, in what He has done, and in what He is now doing for me.”
Charles Spurgeon

“If you see yourself as a little sinner, you will inevitably see Jesus as a little Savior.”
Martin Luther

“To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing.”
Martin Luther

“No healthy Christian ever chooses suffering. He chooses God’s will, as Jesus did, whether it means suffering or not.”
Oswald Chambers

“The judgment of God against this nation will not be turned away by a more conservative president, but by the repentance of its people.”
Paul Washer
The art of contemplation involves not just reading a quote and nodding in agreement or disapproval, but considering all that might have led the person to write it, and the many ways it can be understood and applied. I hope that one or more of the above quotes gave you pause to stop, think, or meditate on what was really being said, how it measures up against Scripture, and what you believe, and the many ways it could be applied in your life.

Living in the Grace of Jesus, Pastor Jeff

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From John Scudder

Dear Friends, Warmest regards to all on this day before the start of Lent, in the year of our Lord 2026! I hope your day is going well and you are (like me) counting down the days – 47 to be exact – until we get to celebrate Easter, or Resurrection Sunday. Lent is a longstanding tradition in Christian circles, and one that is useful if observed with a desire to grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus. Today’s entry is not specifically about Lent, although it points in that direction. It is the testimony of one man’s journey to faith in Jesus. A man who worked as a medical missionary in Madras, India, from 1836 until his death in 1855. I am sending it to you because when I walked into my office this morning, moved one book, and found a very small book hidden behind it! It is literally 2 inches wide by 3 inches high and 5/8 of an inch thick, with 214 pages! It’s an embossed leather-bound book, published by “The American Tract Society” in 1846. Its title is: “Provision for Passing ...

Thoughts on Easter

Dear Friends, I trust Easter was for you a day of hope, rejoicing, re-visiting the empty tomb, and worshipping God for His redeeming grace. I know that in our culture “moving on to the next thing” as soon as a particular day or celebration has passed, is normal. Yet, today (before too much time passes) I wanted to share some true and beautiful thoughts on the resurrection. Easter has passed, but in the Christian faith the Lord’s Day (each and every Sunday, being the first day of the week, or the day Jesus rose) is a mini celebration of the resurrection. With that in mind, I offer you these thoughts. I trust you will find some of them encouraging. Enjoy “Resurrection means endless hope. No resurrection means a hopeless end.”  David Garland “If you don’t believe in the Resurrection, you can go on living your life while perhaps admiring Jesus the man, appreciating his example, and even putting into practice some of his teachings. But if you believe that Jesus rose from the dea...

Thoughts From Dolores Curran

Dear Friends, There is much going on in our world that has many alarmed, saddened, conflicted, angry, and unsure what to think. Some posts I’ve seen online from prominent Christian leaders are speaking about this being the “end” leading to Christ’s return. Yet, as I was thinking about all that, I spotted a handout I use in premarital counselling on a pile on my desk. The heading is: “The 14 Traits of A Healthy Family.” It’s not a deflection from addressing all that’s going on, but a plea to remember that despite all that’s happening, there are still marriages or families that need help. There are families going through difficult times. There are children who still need direction. Children need to feel safe, see healthy relationships, and be taught healthy ways of responding or living in such stressful times – maybe even more so in these stressful times.   Therefore, I offer you these helpful insights to improve family health. They are the result of compiling a survey sent...