Skip to main content

Thoughts From Allison Gappa Bottke

Dear Friends,

This story is one of many found under the category of "Life Lessons" in the book, "God Allows U-Turns: True Stories of Hope and Healing" by Allison Gappa Bottke. It's actually the second volume and is titled, "MORE God Allows U-Turns." This particular story has to do with the physical discipline of children. I found it intriguing. I believe you might as well. Enjoy.
 

A Severe Mercy


"According to my mother, who was the disciplinarian in my home, I was a precocious boy, prone to mischief. The most severe punishment I ever got, however, was not from my mother but from my gentle father. Many people said my dad reminded them of Jimmy Stewart. He was tall and trim with the same side-part hairstyle and boyish grin. After the movie "It's a Wonderful Life" was released in 1946, folks in our town, McKinney, Texas, teased him by calling him George Bailey. Not only was his resemblance to Jimmy Stewart uncanny, but my dad also worked at the First Savings and Loan!
I loved to walk down to the town square after school and spend time with dad at the office. Mom didn't get home from her secretarial job until after five, so I would have at least an hour to run the adding machine, oversee a cash register closeout, or listen to some anxious patron wanting a loan. True enough, mom had given me explicit instructions to go straight home after school, but dad was content to keep our secret. The trouble was I didn't always make it to the square or the bank. I no longer remember the exact details of how it happened, but somehow a friend's yard caught on fire late one afternoon after school as the two of us worked on our cooking merit badge for the Boy Scouts. Mom was called at work and she was MAD! "I told you to go home after school" was all she said on our long ride home. She banished me to my room without so much as a tongue-lashing. Never before had mom failed to administer justice when it came time to teach me a lesson. This was a first. Usually I just took my mother's corporal punishment, if not willingly, at least with a sense of relief that dad would never have to know.
"Your father will have to deal with this," she coldly stated. I truly was repentant, but mostly I was sorry that my adored father was going to have to find out about "the accident." I secretly prayed that mother would change her mind and storm into my room and get it over with. But, alas, it was not to be. All too soon, I heard the sound of my father's car pulling into the driveway. I heard my parents talking in the living room and then footsteps approaching my room. We went into the bathroom to talk. Dad sat on the commode and I sat on the side of the tub. There was never a question about my guilt. I was very contrite and there was no argument about the horrible consequences of my disobedience. "This is bad," dad said respectfully, "there's going to have to be a severe punishment. Stand up, turn around, and hold onto the shower door," he directed.

As I braced myself, I heard dad stand up and loosen his belt buckle. I heard the sound of the folded belt whizzing through the air, and I anticipated the stinging blow. I heard the loud crack, but felt nothing! Confused, I turned around. My gentle father's hand was poised in midair, ready once again to thrash his own leg. "No!" I protested. All of our past, and all of our future, hung there in that moment. "This time, I took your punishment," dad stammered. "You have been given mercy instead of what you deserve. We quickly forget a spanking, but we never forget what mercy feels like."
Mercy. Such as that given to us by the Lord Himself when He died for us on Calvary's cross. Suddenly, I truly understood what mercy meant, and I would never forget it. Though it was close to forty years ago, I can still vividly recall my father's tear-streaked face and the disappointment in his eyes that day. I remember it most when I look into the pleading face of my own son. It is then I truly understand. As Christ taught His children, as my father taught me, and as I strive to teach my son, may the lesson of severe and loving mercy never be lost."
I'm sure some of you have other memories (similar or maybe very different) regarding parental discipline situations. I have one. As a fifteenish teen -- and by no means purposely -- I burned down my grandfather's milk shed one cold winter's day, by leaving a fire burning in a small cast iron wood stove. Mindlessly, I had left without any thought of putting it out. It burned the milkshed to the cement foundation, destroyed my cousins car which he had parked under an attached roof, and my grandfather's huge mobile log-cutting saw. Since it was an old building, with very dry lumber, it burned hot and quick. I returned from wherever I had gone only to see a smoldering heap of ashes, and a vast array of police cars and fire trucks with their lights flashing in the dark of the evening.
Afterward, the Fire Chief pulled my dad aside and told him how the fire had started. I braced myself for when I got home, expecting to get pulled aside, yelled at, or rightfully ridiculed for my irresponsible carelessness which cost my grandfather thousands of dollars, and my cousin his car (which was not insured). But what I expected (and deserved) didn't come my way. My father did shake his head in great disappointment but simply told me that the next day we were going to take a walk. It was the longest half-mile walk I ever took -- up to the Fire Chief's house. There I knocked on the door, admitted fault, and apologized for all the trouble I had caused so many. Given what I had done, and what I deserved, it was also an expression of mercy and a gift of grace. The father above is right: "We quickly forget a spanking, but we never forget what mercy feels like."

Living in the Grace of Jesus, Pastor Jeff

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts On the Holy Spirit

Dear Friends, A. W. Tozer once said, “I think you will agree with me when I say that many people are confused about the Spirit of God.” What Christian who has walked in church circles for any length of time could disagree? That’s why I want to offer some helpful thoughts regarding the Holy Spirit from well-known saints, past and present. I trust you might find them useful in helping you listen to His guidance, respond to His leading, walk in His power, exercise His gifts, and be transformed by His presence in your life. Enjoy. “The Holy Spirit is not enthusiasm. Some people get enthusiastic and imagine it is the Holy Spirit. Some who get all worked up over a song imagine that this is the Spirit, but this does not necessarily follow. Some of these same people go out and live just like the sinful world. But the Holy Spirit never enters a man and then lets him live just like the world that hates God. In fact, that is the reason most people do not want to be filled with the

Thoughts In Memory of Tim Keller

Dear Friends, News broke last Friday (May 19) that pastor Tim Keller had gone home to be with Jesus. I must say that his commitment to a gospel-centered understanding and application of Scripture, his determination to reach this generation, his encouragement to live out the Gospel through our lives and words and actions, his keen insights into contemporary culture, and his gracious way of engaging even with those he disagreed with – have been an inspiration to me and multitudes of others. He was truly a gift of God to many pastors and parishioners in our day. Therefore, today, in honor of his life and ministry, I offer you a mere sampling of 20 Tim Keller quotes. But I warn you that although reading Keller can be insightful and refreshing, it can also be a bit convicting and unsettling. Through his insights you will learn to see old things in a new light (which stirs the spirit!), but you will also discover that you do some of what you do for reasons other than what you had th

Thoughts From Diana Gruver

Dear Friends, In recent years I have found more and more people of all ages wrestling with depression, despite their faith in Christ and assurance of God’s goodness and faithfulness. Part of that (for the older folk) seems to be their struggle with a world so different from the one they grew up in, that they no longer feel at home in this world, while with younger people it seems to have a lot to do with the social isolation caused by their phones and social media. I know it sounds odd to say that social connectivity can lead to loneliness and depression, yet it’s true. It’s one thing to be connected electronically to others and another altogether to enjoy face to face “in the flesh” presence, eye contact, conversation, affection, laughter, and physical touch – even if it’s a simple handshake, hug or pat on the back. Better to have one committed, caring, loyal, ‘there in the flesh friend,’ than 1000 followers on Instagram merely leave a comment in your thread on occasion. Yet please do