Skip to main content

Thoughts From Dr. Larry Crabb


Dear Friends,

Today’s "thought" comes to you from the well-known Christian psychologist Dr. Larry Crabb and is found in one of his first books, “Encouragement – The Unexpected Power of Building Others Up.” It’s the true story of a crucial turning point in his life and an extremely powerful example of what words of encouragement are able to do in a person's soul. Enjoy.


“The tongue has the power of life and death.”
Proverbs 18:21

As a 9th grader (14 years old) Larry was asked to pray before the Lord’s Supper as part of his church’s custom to involve young people in the morning worship service. But since it was his first time ever praying out loud in the service, he says, he was filled “less with worship than with nervousness.” In fact, he was so nervous that when he prayed his prayer he ventured into heresy. He thanked: “The Father for hanging on the cross, and praised Christ for triumphantly bringing the Spirit from the grave.” He stuttered throughout and finally ended with the word, “Amen” and sat down – which was perhaps the first evidence of the Holy Spirit’s leading.”

Staring at the floor humiliated and too embarrassed to even look up, he vowed that he would never again speak out loud in front of a group of people. With a desire to do no more than hide, he darted for the door as the service ended. “I was not quick enough,” he says. “An older man named Jim Dunbar intercepted me, put his arm on my shoulder, and cleared his throat. I remember thinking to myself: ‘Here it comes. Oh well, just endure it and then get to the car.’ I then listened to this godly gentleman speak words that I can repeat verbatim to this day, more than 20 years later: ‘Larry,’ he said, ‘there’s only one thing I want you to know. Whatever you do for the Lord, I’m behind you one thousand percent.’ Then he walked away.”

“Even as I write these words,” he says, “my eyes fill with tears. I have yet to tell that story before an audience without at least mildly choking up. Those words were life words. They had power. They reached deep into my being. My resolve never to speak again in front of an audience weakened instantly… Now I regularly speak and pray before crowds of all sizes and do it without stuttering and I love it…” Then he concludes: “God intends that we (as Christians) be people who encourage one another. A well-timed word has the power to urge a runner to finish the race, rekindle hope when despair has set in, spark a bit of warmth in an otherwise cold life… and renew confidence when problems have the upper hand.”


Who have you pulled aside to encourage lately? As Christians it seems that we have been slack at best if we have not sought to encourage or build up our brothers and sisters in Christ, for we are called many times throughout the New Testament to do so (I Cor. 14:1-5, I Cor. 14:12, II Cor. 10:8, II Cor. 13:10, Col. 4:7-14, Heb. 10:25…). Hebrews 3:13 even goes as far as to tell believers: "Encourage one another daily..."


Scripture couldn't be much clearer: One of our highest priorities in relation to other believers is to encourage and build them up using our words, attitudes, and actions. God knows that on occasion we all need to hear encouraging words from our spiritual family and friends. Don’t let the opportunities slip by.

In the Grace of Jesus, Pastor Jeff

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From John Scudder

Dear Friends, Warmest regards to all on this day before the start of Lent, in the year of our Lord 2026! I hope your day is going well and you are (like me) counting down the days – 47 to be exact – until we get to celebrate Easter, or Resurrection Sunday. Lent is a longstanding tradition in Christian circles, and one that is useful if observed with a desire to grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus. Today’s entry is not specifically about Lent, although it points in that direction. It is the testimony of one man’s journey to faith in Jesus. A man who worked as a medical missionary in Madras, India, from 1836 until his death in 1855. I am sending it to you because when I walked into my office this morning, moved one book, and found a very small book hidden behind it! It is literally 2 inches wide by 3 inches high and 5/8 of an inch thick, with 214 pages! It’s an embossed leather-bound book, published by “The American Tract Society” in 1846. Its title is: “Provision for Passing ...

Thoughts on Easter

Dear Friends, I trust Easter was for you a day of hope, rejoicing, re-visiting the empty tomb, and worshipping God for His redeeming grace. I know that in our culture “moving on to the next thing” as soon as a particular day or celebration has passed, is normal. Yet, today (before too much time passes) I wanted to share some true and beautiful thoughts on the resurrection. Easter has passed, but in the Christian faith the Lord’s Day (each and every Sunday, being the first day of the week, or the day Jesus rose) is a mini celebration of the resurrection. With that in mind, I offer you these thoughts. I trust you will find some of them encouraging. Enjoy “Resurrection means endless hope. No resurrection means a hopeless end.”  David Garland “If you don’t believe in the Resurrection, you can go on living your life while perhaps admiring Jesus the man, appreciating his example, and even putting into practice some of his teachings. But if you believe that Jesus rose from the dea...

Thoughts From Dolores Curran

Dear Friends, There is much going on in our world that has many alarmed, saddened, conflicted, angry, and unsure what to think. Some posts I’ve seen online from prominent Christian leaders are speaking about this being the “end” leading to Christ’s return. Yet, as I was thinking about all that, I spotted a handout I use in premarital counselling on a pile on my desk. The heading is: “The 14 Traits of A Healthy Family.” It’s not a deflection from addressing all that’s going on, but a plea to remember that despite all that’s happening, there are still marriages or families that need help. There are families going through difficult times. There are children who still need direction. Children need to feel safe, see healthy relationships, and be taught healthy ways of responding or living in such stressful times – maybe even more so in these stressful times.   Therefore, I offer you these helpful insights to improve family health. They are the result of compiling a survey sent...