Skip to main content

Thoughts About Legacy

Dear Friends,

This morning I was cleaning some papers out of my Bible, and on one particular folded piece of scrap paper were some notes. Thoughts I had apparently once scribbled down as I was thinking of the word "legacy." I thought I would pass them on for you to consider as we all enter into this New Year (actually this new decade)! Enjoy.

Leaving Behind A Legacy


"Someone once asked a group I was in: "What would you hope someone would write about you on your tombstone? And what will you resolve to do (what will you choose to refrain from doing) so that it might be the words you would one day hope they would write?" We could ask the same in other ways. What might you hope people will say about you at your funeral? What will you leave behind when you are gone? Will the world be any better (your family, friends and acquaintances) for your having been a part of their lives? What "legacy" will you leave behind?


That discussion has always stuck with me. It made me think, "What exactly WILL I leave behind that outlasts me?" In the Old Testament, the patriarchs left a legacy physically by passing on their wealth to their heirs, left a legacy morally through their example (sometimes good and sometimes bad), and at other times left behind a legacy spiritually by calling their children to their side on their deathbed and pronouncing a specially prepared blessing (or message God had given them) over each one (Gen. 49 / I Kings 2:1-4). And should there be those things we regret, we can also leave a legacy by asking forgiveness, offering forgiveness, confessing, acknowledging sin, offering grace, or bringing about reconciliation in regard to some long-standing offense or unresolved hurt.

The question is:
What will YOU leave behind that outlasts you?
What are YOU pouring into your kids in terms of instruction, example, affection, verbal affirmation, or joy and delight in them?
What will your children's main memories of YOU consist of?

Given the fact that we all make mistakes and some would even wish they could relive certain moments of their lives all over again (or rewrite certain chapters, paragraphs or sentences of their life story) my purpose is NOT to make you feel guilty for unalterable sins or mistakes of the past. Since it's not possible to go back in time and change things we did wrong, we must simply plead God's grace, receive His forgiveness, and pray -- as one friend used to put it -- "For God to restore the years the swarming locust has stolen" (Joel 2:25).

Yet, let me leave you with these 5 thoughts to consider in relation to leaving a "legacy."

"If you were to die soon and only had one phone call to make, who would you call and what would you say? So, what are you waiting for?"
Stephan Leaven

"Live your life as if you were someone else's only role model. Live your life so that all you want your children to be they see in you."
Anonymous


"The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that the warrior takes everything as a challenge, while the ordinary man sees everything as either a blessing or a curse."
Don Juan

"Strength and struggle go together. The supreme reward of struggle is strength. Life is a battle and the greatest joy is to overcome. The pursuit of easy things makes a man weak. It is following the path of least resistance that makes rivers and men crooked."
Paul Parlette


God's blessings upon your New Year. May it be one in which God's name, by His grace, is honored through the choices you make and the things you do (Matt. 5:14-16).

In the Bonds of Christian Affection, Pastor Jeff

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From John Scudder

Dear Friends, Warmest regards to all on this day before the start of Lent, in the year of our Lord 2026! I hope your day is going well and you are (like me) counting down the days – 47 to be exact – until we get to celebrate Easter, or Resurrection Sunday. Lent is a longstanding tradition in Christian circles, and one that is useful if observed with a desire to grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus. Today’s entry is not specifically about Lent, although it points in that direction. It is the testimony of one man’s journey to faith in Jesus. A man who worked as a medical missionary in Madras, India, from 1836 until his death in 1855. I am sending it to you because when I walked into my office this morning, moved one book, and found a very small book hidden behind it! It is literally 2 inches wide by 3 inches high and 5/8 of an inch thick, with 214 pages! It’s an embossed leather-bound book, published by “The American Tract Society” in 1846. Its title is: “Provision for Passing ...

Thoughts on Easter

Dear Friends, I trust Easter was for you a day of hope, rejoicing, re-visiting the empty tomb, and worshipping God for His redeeming grace. I know that in our culture “moving on to the next thing” as soon as a particular day or celebration has passed, is normal. Yet, today (before too much time passes) I wanted to share some true and beautiful thoughts on the resurrection. Easter has passed, but in the Christian faith the Lord’s Day (each and every Sunday, being the first day of the week, or the day Jesus rose) is a mini celebration of the resurrection. With that in mind, I offer you these thoughts. I trust you will find some of them encouraging. Enjoy “Resurrection means endless hope. No resurrection means a hopeless end.”  David Garland “If you don’t believe in the Resurrection, you can go on living your life while perhaps admiring Jesus the man, appreciating his example, and even putting into practice some of his teachings. But if you believe that Jesus rose from the dea...

Thoughts From Dolores Curran

Dear Friends, There is much going on in our world that has many alarmed, saddened, conflicted, angry, and unsure what to think. Some posts I’ve seen online from prominent Christian leaders are speaking about this being the “end” leading to Christ’s return. Yet, as I was thinking about all that, I spotted a handout I use in premarital counselling on a pile on my desk. The heading is: “The 14 Traits of A Healthy Family.” It’s not a deflection from addressing all that’s going on, but a plea to remember that despite all that’s happening, there are still marriages or families that need help. There are families going through difficult times. There are children who still need direction. Children need to feel safe, see healthy relationships, and be taught healthy ways of responding or living in such stressful times – maybe even more so in these stressful times.   Therefore, I offer you these helpful insights to improve family health. They are the result of compiling a survey sent...